Rattle in my clutch/transmission on my 1979 GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle in my clutch/transmission on my 1979 GS 1000

Ok guys I am experiencing a strange rattle in my clutch/transmission on my 1979 GS 1000. When I first start up the bike there is a fairly loud rattle coming from the transmission/clutch area of the engine. When I pull in the clutch it goes away and when the bike warms up and idles at about 1300 rpms it goes away. However, when the bike is first started and the idle is slow the rattle is pretty pronounced. Also when I shift the bike from neutral to first there is a slight grind and the bike moves forward a little. If I place the bike on the center stand and shift it into first with the clutch still pulled in there is again a slight grind and the rear tire spins all while the clutch is still pulled in. I would like to know if this is a problem and if so what you think it is and the best way to fix it. If I have to replace the clutch plates who makes a good aftermarket replacement. All advice and ideas would be helpful. Thank you, Dan Rossiter

P.S. I am running 10w40 Quaker State motor oil in the bike should I switch to a different oil or is this ok

Perhaps you should check the big nut behind the clutch plates, that holds the clutch basket. I had the same problem with my GS850; retorqued the nut and that solved the problem.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and pull the clutch cover off and take a peak, there is something loose. Like JoJo said, probably the clutch hub nut. Don't even start it again, my friends came right off. It wrecked the clutch hub and basket, drive and driven plates, idler gears and oil pump gears; all to the tune of $1000 in repairs.

You need a special tool to hold the clutch basket and hub, but you can cheat by getting a friend to sit on the bike hold the front brake while in first gear with the clutch lever out then you can torque down the hub nut.

Barnett and APE make good clutch and spring sets. Far superior to stock.

Hope this helps,

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Thanks for the reply I just had the bike apart to replace the stator and I should have tackled this problem then. Looks like another lost oil change. Oh well it’s better than having the clutch fall apart. I just hope it is as simple as a loose hub nut. thanks again

Comment

Hey Dan,

Is that Quaker State a motorcycle oil? If not there's part of your problem. Motorcycle oil for unit motors (engine and trans together) has additives in it for the trans and clutch.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X