Auto Start??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Start??????

Any idea why my GS 850 would start itself as soon as I engage the clutch? Its also makes a nasty high pitched sound (metal on metal?) when I turn the engine off....I was going to change the oil today anyway, but it sounds like I might have a longer day ahead than I had planned. Its early Saturday morning, so if you have any thoughts, I'd appreciate them ASAP so I can do what I need to do before Monday.

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a short in the starter circuit where the starter button is seeing a constant signal. The starter motor turns when pulling in the clutch because of the interlock - you can't engage the starter unless the clutch is pulled in. The sound you hear could be related to the starter trying to engage even thought he engine is running. Not sure what to suggest in terms of trouble shooting but I'd start with the button circuit and trace it back toward the starter motor.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Sounds like a stuck solenoid.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Sounds like a stuck solenoid.
        Agree! More likely the solenoid than the starter button.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Can the solenoid be "unstuck?" Also, as I'm looking through my shop manual, I don't see anything for "solenoid"...would that have another name, perhaps the AC Regulator?
          Last edited by Guest; 07-07-2007, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Try "starter relay". The AC Regulator is your regulator/rectifier and is in your charging circuit, not your starting curcuit. You can try tapping on the relay with a wrench to try to unstick it temporarily, but you really need to replace it if it's prone to stick, it can cause much more damage if it continues and it's cheaper than a new starter.

Comment

Follow the positive cable from the battery. It goes straight to the solenoid.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

If you need one get one from a lawn and garden tractor dealer. Cost aboout $15~$20. The genuine S part will run you about 70 or so.

Comment

Go to Lowes for sure (and maybe Home Depot). In the lawn equipment aisle, you will find starter solenoids for lawn tractors. Cost is about $12 and they are a perfect fit with the correct mounting hole spacing. I've been using them for years whenever I need to replace a solenoid.

Earl
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

On to Step 2

OK, the solenoid was an easy enough fix...found one at Lowe's for $12...thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem...again, when I suqeeze the clutch, the engine starts. After resealing the airbox, I guess the good news is that she starts stronger than before.

Just dissassembled the starter button next to the throttle and still having the same problem, so I know its not the button.

I guess that narrows it down to either the clutch or something electrical (not the solenoid)...the bike starts strong so I don't think its the starter motor itself (right?)

Sounds like I'm looking for a short...is that just corroded connections and/or wires?
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2007, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Well, the first problem I see is that the starter button (or any of the other buttons/switches) should not be getting power with the key off. That leads me to believe that there is a problem with the ignition switch or the wiring connected to it. If the bike just turned over and didn't start, I'd say you might have a hot short in the wiring harness, but since it starts, the whole system is getting power. Now, the switch can't be the only problem, since you can't start the bike with the ignition switch, but it's the first place I'd start.

Sounds to me like someone either did some creative wiring on your bike or you've got the most unusual series of electrical shorts I've ever heard of.

Does the starter continue spinning after the engine starts?

Comment

I should have prefaced by saying that everything is off when the key is off. When I turn the key to start, lights, etc are fine. Then when I squeeze the clutch in to start the bike, voila, she starts...without pressing the starter button.

I took apart the starter button, thinking it might be stuck internally, and the same thing happened. Once she starts, she sounds normal enough, but I can hear the starter trying to fire every time I squeze the clutch all the way, even though the engine is already running.

Comment

Okay, then your switch should be fine. But you need to fix the problem soon or you'll fry your starter. It sounds like the wires to the starter button and the wires to the clutch safety switch somehow got switched. If you disconnect your clutch safety switch, does the starter button work? You may end up having to rewire both circuits.

Don't know if disconnecting the clutch switch will work, since originally the switch was a safety feature that wouldn't allow the starter to engage without the clutch held in, but who knows? You can't do the simple bypass that I did on my bike because the starter would be constantly engaged.

Worst case scenario, take out the clutch switch circuit completely and rewire your start button. It would be nice to find out what caused all of this in the first place, though. Does the wiring harness look like the PO might have tampered with it? (butt connectors, solder, electrical tape, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by devildogGS850 View Post
                            I should have prefaced by saying that everything is off when the key is off. When I turn the key to start, lights, etc are fine. Then when I squeeze the clutch in to start the bike, voila, she starts...without pressing the starter button.

I took apart the starter button, thinking it might be stuck internally, and the same thing happened. Once she starts, she sounds normal enough, but I can hear the starter trying to fire every time I squeze the clutch all the way, even though the engine is already running.
                            Definitely something with the button. I can just imagine the surprise you'd have gotten if the clutch switch had been bypassed.:shock: Go through the start button switch and clean everything up. Then trace back through the wiring and check and clean all the connections.

Brad bt

Comment

The thing that gets me is that I purchased the bike about a month ago with no issues at all, and this clutch thing just started happening yesterday...I'm not sure that it's switched wires (why would it have worked ok before?)

Comment

Working...
                              X