Zap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zap!

OK I pulled the cable off plug 1 and held the rubber cable, not the end in my hand and started the bike. Got a nasty chock. Did it with No 2 as well. I am guessing this means I need new cables/coils since the cable as part of the coils?

Could this be the reason cylinder three isnt firing right?

yes u need new wires they are arcing
    they say if u take a water bottle and mist it over wires u can see them arc if they are bad

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
      they say if u take a water bottle and mist it over wires u can see them arc if they are bad
      Good one. I've done on Chevys and bikes.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
        Good one. I've done on Chevys and bikes.
        New wires or new plug caps? These wires are usually alright .It is the plug caps that go bad.I get a slight feeling on the fourth plug but there is no problem with the wire or boot and the bike idles and runs fine.

Comment

see i do have some smarts about mechanics lol :-P

Comment

Originally posted by justmount1 View Post
            Especially if you do it night or in the dark.

The other thing to remember is that by removing the plug wire you have open circuited the coil secondary which will result in voltages not normally seen in normal operation. This open circuit voltage wants to get back to the other side of the coil real bad, whether it be through you, or from jumping some extraordinary gap to the chassis. I've seen old Chevy coils jump from the secondary terminal to the primarys when cranked with the secondary coil lead pulled off which is about 1.5 inches.

Iv'e had bad caps cause miss fires due to both the wire termination and from the resistor pellet inside.

I like to use a grounded screw driver to check for arcing lug wires. just run it along the wires and watch for an arc and listen for a miss fire.

Comment

Working...
            X