new to me 79 850g advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to me 79 850g advice

1) I just bought a 79 850 and i would like to take the fairing off, no ears no nothing just a bag of wires. Do i have any choices or do i have to get lucky or pay an arm and a leg for 79 parts

2) I also have a "slow" speedo, using my friend driving in front of me i know its acurate but takes some time getting there and going back down, is this normal? I've taken it off and sprayed it with Wd40 a few times

3) I went into a local vintage shop and asked about lowering bars and they all looked at me funny, i had read on here they were pretty common is this true? (or only for newer bikes?)

thanks for any help

jamie
    jmacdbass@gmail.com

Its very common to replace the stock bars on a '79. Few people like them. Here is what I went with, way too expensive but I wanted what I wanted. You can take the specs and find cheaper ones if you like. I find them perfect, but I kept my Windjammer on the bike. It depends on what you want to do. 2" rise superbike bars are also a good option if you don't want a fairing on the bike.

The one thing that is nice about the stock bars is that they are weighted (filled 4 - 6 inches in with a lead like metal). I've noticed very little difference in vibration however with the unweighted bars I have.

I assume your fairing is a Windjammer. If you take it off you'll have to find the turn signals, head-light and trim on E-bay or a cycle salvage....don't know of any other options. Some other parts might be adaptable, but I don't know about that.

As far as your speedo goes, if its accurate that's amazing. Mine is way off....when it says 70 I'm actually going about 60. They never were that accurate from what I understand. If its not responding well, it could be that the cable itself is worn. Could also be that the ends that plug into the tach or front wheel are worn and slipping a bit, or not completely hooked up.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-08-2007, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jmacdbass View Post
      1) I just bought a 79 850 and i would like to take the fairing off, no ears no nothing just a bag of wires. Do i have any choices or do i have to get lucky or pay an arm and a leg for 79 parts

2) I also have a "slow" speedo, using my friend driving in front of me i know its acurate but takes some time getting there and going back down, is this normal? I've taken it off and sprayed it with Wd40 a few times

3) I went into a local vintage shop and asked about lowering bars and they all looked at me funny, i had read on here they were pretty common is this true? (or only for newer bikes?)
      1) I have a 6" chrome headlight assembly that came off an '82 850GL if you are interested. Includes the mounting ears.

2) Where are you spraying the WD-40? From the axle to the top of the cable it's all mechanical. Cleaning won't hurt, but it either works or it doesn't. Inside the speedo head is where the fun starts. That is probably where the action is getting slowed down and needs a good cleaning. Have not had to do it myself, so can't help you with specifics here.

3) "Lowering bars". To lower what? Are you looking for replacement handlebars or are you looking for bars that will lower the rear suspension? Handlebars are widely available in motorcycle shops. Other bike brands will work, too, you don't have to restrict your search to Suzuki shops. If you are looking to lower the suspension, consider shorter shocks. If you have original shocks on there now, chances are that they need to be replaced, anyway.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

how much for the light and ears, and does it have the directionals?

Comment

Working...
        X