No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark

I turned over my gs550 for the first time today but im not getting a spark... Is the block aluminum? There is some problem with my start button so i was jumping the starter relay... I'm guessing that has something to do with it... suggestions? Is that relay a common failure (my blinker relay was bad as well)
    Thanks
    -Alex

Did you check the coils and see if they were getting juice?

And a stupid thing I am sure you tried, but my bike only starts if I hold the clutch in when I hit the start button. Like a car :P

Comment

Originally posted by aosmith View Post
      I turned over my gs550 for the first time today but im not getting a spark... Is the block aluminum? There is some problem with my start button so i was jumping the starter relay... I'm guessing that has something to do with it... suggestions? Is that relay a common failure (my blinker relay was bad as well)
      Thanks
      -Alex
      Hi Alex......this will make more sense if you're familiar with basic automotive electricity - and may be of little help if you aren't and don't have a schematic or knowledge of your bikes wiring.

Check to see that your kill switch isn't turned off (most people never use 'em and are surprised when they get bumped....this affects spark). You don't mention what year your GS550 is but does it have a kick start as well (my 78 did).....if so do you have spark when you tried that? Check your fuses with a test light or voltmeter so you both know that they're intact AND have voltage with respect to ground at both ends. Did it crank slowly? If so, then you'll likely not have enough power for good spark while electrically cranking (re my query about kick start)......note that low system voltage/battery power can cause all the problems you've described so far (re the query about cranking speed). Does your GS550 have point ignition or electronic (my 78 was point).....If points, it's easy to check for ignition primary voltage and coil switching at the points themselves (block or rotate until open to check.....check gap and condition at this time also.....crank with a test light on the point wire terminal to check for switching). Basically the same occurs with electronic ignition but may require intrusive testing to determine.

Comment

It's an 83 so it's CDI and no kick start... I went out and tinkered and looked at my schematic... What i did figure out is i get so "coughing" ie combustion but it's missing 95% of the time, but only with clutch in (?) i Think I'll be tearing down the harness and rebuilding one from scratch thats much more minimal, I'll be running almost all aftermarket gauges and lighting so i have tons of loose ends anyways.
        -Alex

Comment

So it does turn over, just slowly?
          I'd have your battery tested at your local auto parts store, sounds like it isn't happy.

Comment

O no its turns over pretty quick... the battery is brand new but i wasn't getting spark until i started pulling the clutch in while cranking (weird) Now i have a petcock that needs to be fixed (gas flow in on and res settings) so I'm flooding the carbs

Comment

Working...
            X