Seafoam story and ? for 82 GS 650 GLZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seafoam story and ? for 82 GS 650 GLZ

Well I have now but 500 miles on it since I got it out of the shop. It was running great and then it seemed to run a little rough. I had the shade tree mechanic look at it and he put some Seafoam that I had heard some people on the board talk about. WOW.. !!!! One mile down the road and it was PURRING again.. How many of you use this stuff and how often can you use it? It seems to be a MIRACLE!!

It is good stuff.

Mike

Comment

Seafoam is great stuff. How did you use it? Gas tank, intake or oil?

Comment

I'm thinking gas since it took a mile for it to take effect (intake would have worked quicker oil slower iirc)

Comment

My gosh I love seafoam. My buddies and I use it on our cars everynow and again. Simply amazing.

Comment

Mr. MATTW,

I used it recently in my bike and it seemed to make a difference, not that it was running bad before, but now it's smoother and a little quicker when I twist the throttle. I plan to dump a half a bottle or so in a tank of gas a couple times a year, just for maintenance. Some folks use it more often.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yes, it is great stuff. I used it to bring my 400 back to life. At first I was getting some dismal compression numbers and it looked like I might have to pull the motor apart for a rebuild. A friend suggested Sea Foam so I put some in the gas and some in the oil and voila - that thing runs like a champ now at the compression is 145psi in both cylinders. I think in my case the main problem was a stuck piston ring.

-Scott

Comment

I've sworn by it for years! Even now that my bike is running pretty well I'll still treat a tank about every 3 months at regular strength to keep the gremlins at bay.

Comment

As far as additives go, Seafoam is about the only thing you should use in a motorcycle engine. It is a fully petroleum based product and reacts well with gas and oil. The only caveat i have heard mentioned is that it shouldn't be used in the motorcycle oil for any length of time as it will breakdown sludge deposits in the upper engine which could cause crap to end up in the transmission/ clutch and it thins out the oil itself. With a new to me bike, I run a few ounces in the first fresh oil change for that purpose ( grunge removal) and change it after a few hundred miles.

You can't over use it in the gas but you only need a few ounces to a tank full. A full can and you'll be puttting out a smokescreen for quite a while.

Good stuff and an easy way to do a quick carb tuneup.

Cheers,
                  Spyug.

Comment

I use Berrymans B-12. It works good also. I have a big can for dipping and a small can for the twice a year valve, piston, fuel tank and carb cleaning. I just drop a couple of cap fulls in the tank. Chevron gas will also keep your innards clean.
                    Last edited by chef1366; 07-09-2007, 11:50 PM.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I put it straight in the tank... I think I have a new friend in the garage....seafoam!! LOL

Comment

So this thread just inspired me to go out and seafoam my 650.....
                        It was goin' well, put 1/4 can in the oil and 1/3 can in the tank...
                        started to rev, seafoam started to smoke, everything was going well then woosh - oil POORED out the back of the motor! HOLY SHAT!
                        I assume the oil was just overfilled, I don't know, I'm scared to go inspect her.

Comment

Mr. Euclid,

That's a little disconcerting, to say the least. When I used SeaFoam in my tank, it didn't smoke at all. Use about one ounce per gallon of gas for maintenance, two ounces per gallon for a good cleaning. I've never used it in my oil. But perhaps you overdid it a bit and thinned your oil too much? You'd better change it right away, just to be safe. Then just ride out the SeaFoam you have in your gas tank. You'll be OK.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I've got a bit on my plate for the next few days. When I get a chance, I'll tackle this pup. Every time I've used seafoam in my cars and trucks, it's made a lot of white smoke. I will drain my oil and refill to 2.6qt (that's right for a 650g, right?). I'll keep everybody up to date!

Thanks!

Comment

I too was intrigued by this post. I picked up a bottle from Pep-Boys yesterday after work. It was about 95 degrees out. Phew. Went home. I have about a 1/2 tank of gas, so a added roughly 2 oz of seafoam to the tank. Drove about 5 miles since. So far, everything seems good. This morning on my startup,choke idle was WAY smoother and I feel quicker of the line. It may be all in my head though.

Question. Since I added to only a 1/2 tank. When I fill-er up, which will prob be soon, should I add a bit more?

Comment

Working...
                              X