Seafoam story and ? for 82 GS 650 GLZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Euclid View Post
    I've got a bit on my plate for the next few days. When I get a chance, I'll tackle this pup. Every time I've used seafoam in my cars and trucks, it's made a lot of white smoke. I will drain my oil and refill to 2.6qt (that's right for a 650g, right?). I'll keep everybody up to date!

Thanks!
    If you are just draining from under the engine, it's about 2.6 qts If you also drain from the crank case (which you should, even though I haven't because I totally stripped the bolt ), it will let out another quart. So your total would be 3.6 qts.

Comment

drain pan = underside of pan 22mm, where's the crankcase bolt? on the side?

Comment

Yup, the crank case drain plug is on the side under the crankcase. I had some real difficultly getting if off. Actually, I never got it off. I didn't have enough clearance for a socket wrench. The exhaust was in my way. So I tried using vice grips. Stripped the exposed side of the bolt. That sucker is fused on there! Meanwhile, my underside oil pan threads were stripped from age. So after many attempts at tapping a new oversized drain plug in (thus many oil changes to see if it leaked) I figured I pretty much rotated the oil out of the crank case. So I HOPE!!!:?.

BTW, there is only one fill area.

good luck!!

Comment

Mr. Euclid,

I thought of something else. SeaFoam, being a solvent, will clean out gunk and sludge in your crankcase. If you have gunk that is actually reinforcing gasket material, and that gunk gets removed, you may develop leaks. I don't know where you are leaking from now, hopefully you might only have to replace an oil pan gasket, if necessary. Leaks are not good. Keep a very watchful eye. Let us know.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Fixed it. I changed the oil and, well, turns out there was 6 quarts in this puppy! Holy cow! Everything's running like a champ now, thanks GSR!

Comment

I bought (2) cans. I put about 3/4 of a can in a full tank of gas (5 gal.). I don't see any difference yet. it's been 135 miles so far and i'm down to 1/4 tank. maybe i should add the rest in when i fill up again and see what happens.

Comment

I've been using Chevron's techron & love it. If I could find seafoam I would certainly give it a try.

Comment

MSDS for Seafoam indiates it is primarily Naptha and Isopropyl Alcohol in a white Oil

I say make your own.....

Interesting thing is that IPA is apparently reactive with aluminum according to some of the painfully obtuse chemistry sites I have visited...

It would seem to be a bad thing to put in an alloy engine but one imagines it gets purged fairly quickly.

One wonders if the cleansing isnt from the metal to which Carbon is affixed being eaten away.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
                    MSDS for Seafoam indiates it is primarily Naptha and Isopropyl Alcohol in a white Oil

I say make your own.....

Interesting thing is that IPA is apparently reactive with aluminum according to some of the painfully obtuse chemistry sites I have visited...

It would seem to be a bad thing to put in an alloy engine but one imagines it gets purged fairly quickly.

One wonders if the cleansing isnt from the metal to which Carbon is affixed being eaten away.
                    Highly unlikely...if that were the case, every engine that has aluminum heads (most of them now) and has run Heat gas line antifreeze, would have destroyed their vehicles, years ago.

Comment

Hey tiresmoke, you must be close to Congers??. I get seafoam from Wal-mart, Auto Zone, O'Rileys Auto parts, Advanced Auto. Surely it's up there somewhere. I keep thinking it must be in my head, but 3 of the 4 bikes I've put it in, I sure seem to be feeling a very noticable difference.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

read the instructions on sea foam do not put more than what the can says. it will work wonders. a budy of mine used it in his last boat motor. the motor was 20 years old when he got it. every one keep asking him if the 9.9hp motor was reworked. he had it for 5 years till the gears in the bottom end gave out.
                        I have used it in my truck, bike and lawn mowers. my sister calls me every summer to fix her lawn mower. it sits out side all year long. every winter i drain the gas and put fresh gas with seafoam in it. pull the cord and it fires up and runs all summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Euclid View Post
                          Fixed it. I changed the oil and, well, turns out there was 6 quarts in this puppy! Holy cow! Everything's running like a champ now, thanks GSR!
                          If you had six quarts in the crankcase you might want to make sure you don't have a leaking petcock. Pull the vacuum line of and see if it has fuel in it. Suck on the vacuum line or another line attached to the petcock vacuum port and see if it holds vacuum.

Comment

Working...
                          X