Electrical gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical gremlins

Can anyone tell me if I'm supposed to get voltage on all 4 pins going into the ignitor unit? Right now I'm getting good voltage on the orange, yellow, and one of the black w/white stripes. the other black w/white stripe is dead. Is this normal or should it be alive? I am trying to chase down the reason why I only have 8 point sumthin' volts at my coils.....
    Thanks
    -Tim

Which ?

Which bike ?

Louie

Comment

It's an 81 750E but I think it should be the same for all of them....

Comment

Tim,
        Here is the testing procedure for my 700 that I've pasted from an earlier post.

For the ignitor, remove spark plugs 1 & 2 and ground them to the motor so they will fire when they get power. With the ignitor facing you, the plug on the right side of the ignitor is where the signal generator plug fits. The two terminals on the right side of that portion of the ignitor will be pin 1 at the front and pin 2 at the back. The two left pins will be pin 3 in front and pin 4 at the back. Turn the ignition switch on. With a multitester set a the X1 ohm range put the + probe on pin 2 and the - probe on pin 1. Plug number 1 should fire. Next put the + probe on pin 4 and the - probe on pin 3. Plug number 2 should fire. If this happens the ignitor is good and the signal generators are suspect.

The black and white is a ground, which I'm sure you know. Are you sure one of them isn't solid black? That would also be a hot wire.

Comment

Thanks Billy, I'm off to look again. (I have my bike parked in our work shop here at A&M while the kids are on spring break :twisted: )

Comment

Tim,
            I took a look at the wiring diagram for my bike after thinking about your question a little more. On the side of the ignitor that recieves signal from the signal generators, ignition pickups, you have the four wires. On pins one and two, one wire is power to the signal generator from the ignitor and one is power from the signal generator back to the ignitor. Same on pins 3 and 4. You are probably getting power on one of the wires back to the ignitor simply because the rotor on the end of the crank is pointed toward one of the pickups. The pickups are getting power from one of the wires on the plug that feeds signal to the coils. If the color code is the same as mine it will be a white wire feeding power to the entire ignitor. Then you have three other wires feeding signal to the coils. One common to both coils then individual signal wires for each coil.

Comment

Working...
            X