• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging / Starting Problem

Hi All,

Have An 82 Gs850g That Runs Well And Does Everything Else Well Except.....\

Theres Always An Except Or A But...

What Happens Is This ; If By Slim Chance The Bike Starts When Its Been Sitting For A Day Or So After Running For A While If I Park It Will Refuse To Stat Or Crank.

I Thought It Was A Charging Problem But The Battery Seems To Be Charged When This Happens.

Any Ideas Will Be Appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Fred

You checked the battery and it still has a good charge? Are the terminals clean? Sounds to me like a crappy battery or bad terminals.

Comment

I Cleaned Then But They Looked Ok.

Thanks Fro The Help

Comment

How do you know that the battery is fully charged? Whats steps have you done to check the state of the battery? Knowing that would help.

Zuzu

Comment

Originally posted by MBFMGP View Post
          Hi All,

Have An 82 Gs850g That Runs Well And Does Everything Else Well Except.....\

Theres Always An Except Or A But...

What Happens Is This ; If By Slim Chance The Bike Starts When Its Been Sitting For A Day Or So After Running For A While If I Park It Will Refuse To Stat Or Crank.

I Thought It Was A Charging Problem But The Battery Seems To Be Charged When This Happens.

Any Ideas Will Be Appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Fred
          marvinsc, is that you? :-D

Check your battery, both in the "at rest" state and at 3000rpm. Make sure you have clean battery terminals. Connect a dedicated ground wire between your regulator/rectifier and the (-) side of the battery. Don't rely on a frame ground. Lots of good information in the stator papers resource.

Might just be bad connections on the starter or the gunked-up starter itself may need cleaning.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I had this problem and it turned out to be a dirty kill switch.
            Also bypass the clutch safety switch.
            When the no start issue arises jump the starter solenoid and see what happens.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
            X