81 GS1100E breaking up after 2800 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS1100E breaking up after 2800 RPM

I am restoring an 81 GS1100E . I fixed the starter clutch with your help and am almost home. It is basically stock except for a Vance and Hines 4 into one(and of course the airbox was missing so the back of the carbs are open). The carbs looked suspicious so I swapped them with the good running ones (with stock jetting)off my other 1100E. The bike starts right up and idles smoothly. It pulls well at small throttle openings but breaks up at about 2800 RPM. If you twist the throttle open any more than about a 1/4 throttle it dies and bogs down to absolutely nothing. It is doing the same thing with both sets of carbs so I think I elimiated the chance of it being the carbs. (the good carbs run perfect on my other 1100E). All the exhaust pipes feel hot so I know all the cyclinders are operating. What could cause this midrange and upper end fall out? Seems fine under 2000rpm. Is it an airbox issue? Could it be electrical? I appreciate any ideas.

Thanks
    Drew

Drew,

It is quite likely an airbox issue. These bikes flow way too much air without the airbox and will hardly run at all without one.

Joe
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Thanks Joe. I'll throw my airbox on it and post what happens

Comment

Well it was the airbox! Put the old carbs (47.5 pilots[1 size over] 112.5 mains[2 sizes over])on and it runs pretty well. Pulls like a crazed animal above 3000 RPM. Only lingering problem is a roughness when riding at 3000 RPM.
        Thanks for the help Joe.

Drew

Comment

On my 1100 when I ran an airbox and 4-1 pipe I used 117.5 mains. 47.5 pilot jets. One up on the pilot air jet. I ran with the airbox lid off. Pull out those idle mixture screws and make sure the o-rings are good. With the 47.5 pilot jets you'll need to adjust them for a good idle. 3000 is too high. Have you tried adjusting your idle knob or do you have cracked intake pipes or serious airbox leaks at the rubber boots.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X