front brake doesn't release fully

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front brake doesn't release fully

After riding my bike for a half an hour or so the front brake binds a bit on the rotor and I have to open the bleed valve to release the pressure.

The bike sat for a few years before I got it. I've replaced all the fluid in the system and got the air out, and was able to move the piston in when I had the caliper apart.

What's the problem?

Seems to me that your compensator port is blocked. Inside the master cylinder you'll notice two holes. The first one is the largest one and the second is very tiny hole which allows fluid to bleed off from the heating and cooling of the fluid in the calipers and to compensate for the displacement of the piston as the pads wear. My suggestion would be to remove the MC, dissassemble, clean very thoroughly and dry, then reassemble and put yourself through the misery of bleeding a Suzuki master cylinder. That is what I had to do, it sucks!

Comment

yup like he said, but a rebuild kit may be needed. for 24.00 you can't go wrong. you will need the snap ring pliers for master cylinders. they're 28.00 at any parts unlimited dealer. they're worth it since they are made for it.

Comment

Good advice! If that doesn't fix it you will need to rebuild the calipers.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

ya know. think of this. you're cruising with your wife on the back and you have an emergency: your front brake is 65% of your stopping power. if it doesn't work or locks up you're in trouble.
          take the time and do it right. rebuild the master cylinder and slave cylinders. it's a very small price ty pay over a trip to the hospital.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2007, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X