Help...fuel gauge quit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help...fuel gauge quit

Any of you guys know how the fuel gauge sending unit works? Ever since I removed the gas tank, it quit working. The wires off the tank part seem okay, and they're connected properly. No blown fuses. The only thing I'm not sure about is the long vent hose that comes from the tank unit. Does it connect to anything, or just hang below the bike? Anything else to check? Thanks for any advice.

the sender is a variable resistor, battery voltage passes through the gauge and travels to the sender by the black with yellow stripe wire.
    the sender has a float on a lever and the level of the fuel determins the resistance, full low resistace, empty high resistance, the black with white stripe wire is the ground for the sender, using a good multimeter, check for power at the yellow stripe wire (digital prefered) if you have battery power there (12+v) check for any conductivity across both wires coming from the sender. (disconect it from the harness) if you have continuity you have a bad ground, if you have no continuity the sender is bad, if you have no power headed to the sender, eather the gauge is bad, or no power is getting to the gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
      the sender is a variable resistor, battery voltage passes through the gauge and travels to the sender by the black with yellow stripe wire.
      the sender has a float on a lever and the level of the fuel determins the resistance, full low resistace, empty high resistance, the black with white stripe wire is the ground for the sender, using a good multimeter, check for power at the yellow stripe wire (digital prefered) if you have battery power there (12+v) check for any conductivity across both wires coming from the sender. (disconect it from the harness) if you have continuity you have a bad ground, if you have no continuity the sender is bad, if you have no power headed to the sender, eather the gauge is bad, or no power is getting to the gauge.
      Thanks. On your advice, I tested it with a digital multimeter. Apparently, the sending unit is bad. Kind of weird though, it worked before I took the tank off. Anyway, the rubber hose off the bottom is just a vent????

Comment

Yes the hose is just a vent.

Comment

Working...
        X