Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get clutch cable adjusted properly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't get clutch cable adjusted properly...

I've been messing with the clutch cable for some time trying to adjust it properly.

I followed the instructions in my repair manual but all that gives me is a lever with the right amount of play but it's still very hard to pull all the way in.

I messed with the adjuster by the lever, the one on top of the left side engine cover and the screw with the locknut under the clutch release cover.

I finally thought I had it set right, it was easy to pull in and the bike started with the lever pulled in but when I shifted into 1st, the bike luched forward and died, so the clutch wasn't disengaging even though I had the lever pulled in.

I can adjust it so that the clutch disengages but then it's still too hard to pull in all the way (although not as bad), this makes for a dangerous situation if I can't disengage the clutch easily, especially since I am a new rider.

I did lube up the cable and made sure it went the right path, any ideas?

Originally posted by marek View Post
    I've been messing with the clutch cable for some time trying to adjust it properly.

I followed the instructions in my repair manual but all that gives me is a lever with the right amount of play but it's still very hard to pull all the way in.

I messed with the adjuster by the lever, the one on top of the left side engine cover and the screw with the locknut under the clutch release cover.

I finally thought I had it set right, it was easy to pull in and the bike started with the lever pulled in but when I shifted into 1st, the bike luched forward and died, so the clutch wasn't disengaging even though I had the lever pulled in.

I can adjust it so that the clutch disengages but then it's still too hard to pull in all the way (although not as bad), this makes for a dangerous situation if I can't disengage the clutch easily, especially since I am a new rider.

If you don't feel any drag at the lever after disconnecting the clutch end of the cable then adjust the free play as stated in the manual and unless you need two hands to pull in the clutch I'd say your good. The clutch lever is not something that is easy to pull in, not many people can pull it in with just their pinky or index finger. From your post I gather your new to bikes and your hand hasn't adapted to working the clutch, if you practice riding in a small where you have to clutch in and out alot you'll find that your hand can get tired pretty quick.

Comment

Something else you can try: remove the cable from the clutch linkage, leave it attached to the lever. Put some mild tension on the end where the clutch normally pulls, and squeeze the lever. There should be almost no resistance. If it does not glide smoothly, you need a new cable. Lubing might help a bit, but there is a nylon sleeve inside the cable. If it wears through, the cable is pulling in a groove against the outer case, making it harder to pull.

A new cable is rather inexpensive, and it's better to change it now, before it strands you on the side of the road somewhere.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Well I agree that I'm not used to working a hand clutch, currently, it's not THAT hard to pull in with one hand, just wasn't sure how easy it's supposed to be.

Thanks Guys.

Comment

If the cable was replaced with non oem, it's probably an inferior cable.

Comment

Part of the problem could be in the lever itself. Disconnect the lever from the cable & remove the pivot bolt & lever & clean thoroughly. There is a brass bushing in the lever where the pivot goes through. That bushing is probably worn on one side. If so, replace. Lube the bushing, pivot & reassemble. Along with a new cable should make clutch pull easier & have a more "positive" feel.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
              My '81 used to be somewhat a drag to the point that under speed shifting situations it would actually delay the clutch re-engagement. I took the whole hand assy. off the bike to get a straight downhill drip for a few drops (like 6) of engine oil like the manual shows for periodic maintenance. (I read the manual as a last resort:shock

Now it works really really easy and has stayed that way for a couple months now. Perhaps the "lube" you used is too sticky?

Comment

brass bushes are meant to be run dry.....

If it has pattern springs fitted then the clutch will be a lot heavier than stock. Do a test on the cable & see what happens.

You can change back to stock springs as long as the plates etc are in good condition.

I'm no Schwarzenegger (I have a licence ) & I manage with aftermarket springs, tempted to put 3 out of 6 stock ones back in though because it is a little heavy.

Dan
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                X