Have I ruined my carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have I ruined my carb?

Ok I searched this too late and found out I did it the wrong way. I had a stuck pilot jet (under the rubber passage plug) and was trying to remove it with an extractor bit. I went in to far and it left my threads with shiny brass pieces in them. Figured only thing I could do is to try to tap it out and hopefully clean out the threads. I ended up diggin out the end of the jet after working a drill in there a while. Got it all cleaned out and I think I tapped it to far. It seems to sit in farther than the rest of my carbs. Think this will cause me problems later on?

If so anyone have a spare #4 carb of 80 gs550? I think its a 32mm.

Thanks

Cant blame the PO on this one he goobered it but I ruined it. #-o](*,)

The gas for the pilot jet is fed from the main jet in a small passage. If the pilot jet is sealed around the threads and you have the rubber cap on it it should be OK.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks Chef I was hoping I didnt have to find a new carb and start over.

Comment

It is REALLY important to make sure there is no thread crud let in the carb!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The pilot jet sits all the way down into the cavity so it doesn't seem possible that it's actually sitting lower than the others. You might want to try to measure the height using the back side of some calipers. Could be the top of the cavity is hogged out some which is making you think the jet is lower?
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Ok thanks again. I have some small rifle bore brushes Ill try one of those in there.

Comment

my calipers dont fit Ill take another look though thanks

Comment

It actually does sit lower, about .040 could be I got in there with the drill too far? Measured off the bottom of the screwdriver to the carb. Oh well I give it a try and see what happens. Thanks

Comment

I've got a #4 carb you can have for shipping, about $5.00.

Comment

Thanks Jay. Im gonna try this one. If it gives me trouble Ill let you know. Kits are in the mail so hopefully it wont be long till I get it all together and on the road. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyV View Post
                      If so anyone have a spare #4 carb of 80 gs550? I think its a 32mm.
                      I bought a set of 32mm carbs off of eBay (to mess around with before working on the ones on my 82 GS850GZ).

Don't know if the #4 carb will work for you, but if you're interested, send me an email or PM.

Charles...

Comment

Working...
                      X