my stator light wont go off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my stator light wont go off

changed my stator only to find out light is still on......not happy .....then i did some wire tracing found a green blue wire with a bullet end with no home after a 1/2 hour of looking at a wire diagram i found it went to the battery i think. but it say there should be a sensor of some sort....can someone explain if this would correct the problem i have an 82 gs 1100ez
    U.S model

Apparently the battery has been changed to one that does not have a 'home' for the connector.

The purpose of that light is not to indicate charging. :shock:
    Its purpose is to let you know when the fluid is low in the battery. There are still some batteries available with connections for that wire, but you are much better off with a sealed battery.

To turn the light off, connect the dangling wire to a switched 12-volt wire. Some have said to use a resistor so it does not see the full 12 volts, but I have not seen the need to do that.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok but

my battery has a plug were this so called wire should go ....so do i need a piece for it or does the battery come with it????
      Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007, 02:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I don't know if the dealer or a battery shop might have the adapter to fit the battery. At the worst, you might have to change the connector on it to mate up with the wire that you have.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

i cant believe 55 bucks for a stupid sensor

:twisted: im gonna hit the wreckers in town but there almost the same price as new parts if not more

Comment

I always thought the battery sensor was part of the battery!!

Comment

The battery low water sensor comes in the special (over priced) battery required for this system. I don't think you can buy just a sensor through regular channels. It's just a lead rod with a resistor wired in series.

I got around it by just pulling the sensor out (it's just pushed in) of my old battery, and plugging it into one of the filler holes on a new battery. I had to shorten it to avoid interference with the plates inside the new one.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 04:22 AM.

Comment

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/oem_schematic_view~schem_dept_id~1002859~section_d ept_id~1~section_dept_name~OEM+%28Stock%29+Parts~d ept_type_id~2~model_dept_year~1982~model_dept_mfr~ Suzuki~model_dept_id~988010~model_dept_name~GS1100 EZ.asp#stay

Bikebandit is under $20.00 for a new sensor. It is listed as battery sensor, and yes it should solve your problem.
                Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 07:39 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Your best bet is still just connecting it to a switched power source to turn off the light.
                  Continue monitoring your battery fluid levels for the next couple of years, then, when it's time to get a new battery, get a sealed one.
                  Much better battery and you never have to worry about the fluid level. \\/
                  sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X