Starter Relay Substitiutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Relay Substitiutions

I've seen several forum posts where GS starter relays were replaced with riding mower relays. I've heard that some will fit the stock bolt holes.

Can anyone tell me a part number or what mower the part was for? I haven't found anything small enough for my bike, and the big stores like HD and Lowes dont have anything in stock that looks right. I have most of the big auto parts and home improvement stores in my area.

Thanks!

I'd kinda like to know as well. I have a 550 at home with relay troubles...

Comment

I just got back from NAPA. After talking to them, I ordered one that looks awful close. Here's a link to it. I'll let you know in a couple of days how it works.

I had a really strange failure on mine. When the relay closes, no voltage passes through the poles. Once the relay opens back up, it drains a few tenths of a volt. That explains a lot of the problems I've been having.

Comment

Sears has them in stock for $12.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The part I bought from NAPA is number-7-01684-1 and I paid $9.49 for it.

For some reason, the relays I've found in Sears, HD and Lowes around here aren't even close to the Suzuki part. I saw one at HD long before I needed one that looked close, but that's it.

This one fits the bolt holes, but is "upside down" in relation to the old one. It works fine and fits inside the frame cover. I don't like having the terminals inverted, but I'll have to live with it.

Comment

Just picked one up at Lowes while troubleshooting an electrical problem. Fit right into the old holes and is working fine. $12.

Comment

Working...
            X