Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust not blueing.

Hi could anyone help me.
    I have recently had my engine top end overhauld,valves and shims all done.
    after runnjng the bike since i have noticed that here is no exhaust blueing on cylinder 1. I have just had my carbs balanced and it runs sweet as a nut, but still no blueing on cylinder 1 exhaust. Is this because cylinder 1 is not getting as hot as 2,3, and 4. could anyone tell me if i have a big problem please.

Cheers Billygs.

I'm just gonna watch this one.

Comment

How many miles since the overhaul?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

That would probably indicate #1 is richer than the rest. If you have stock exhaust, you don't really want to see much color change. If you have an aftermarket exhaust I've read a gold hue is OK, but blue is usually thought to indicate a lean condition. Rather than #1 being off, I'd say #2, #3, and #4 are off (lean).

It may be as simple as adjusting your float levels or tweaking your mixture screws. Of course if you have pods and/or non-stock jetting it's a whole 'nother story. You also may have intake o-ring (if you have them) or intake boot leaks.

But check the color of your plugs for starters. This will help to corroborate the lean/rich status of the cylinders.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          How many miles since the overhaul?
          Hi Chef.

Done about 500 miles since overhaul.

Cheers Billygs.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
            That would probably indicate #1 is richer than the rest. If you have stock exhaust, you don't really want to see much color change. If you have an aftermarket exhaust I've read a gold hue is OK, but blue is usually thought to indicate a lean condition. Rather than #1 being off, I'd say #2, #3, and #4 are off (lean).

It may be as simple as adjusting your float levels or tweaking your mixture screws. Of course if you have pods and/or non-stock jetting it's a whole 'nother story. You also may have intake o-ring (if you have them) or intake boot leaks.

But check the color of your plugs for starters. This will help to corroborate the lean/rich status of the cylinders.
            Hi t3rmin.

I have a motad 4 into 1 exhaust, if my carbs are running lean on 2,3, and 4 is it awkward to set the mixture screw correct i.e to match cylinder 1.

Cheers Billygs.

Comment

The plugs will tell the tale.

Did you retourque the head down after 500 miles? Recheck valve clearance? The valves and top end will settle in a bit during break-in.

So you're running with the airbox?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Blue...unless right at the head...is too hot IMHO. When the head was off were there o-rings to contend with (intake) or 16-V no rings?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                  Blue...unless right at the head...is too hot IMHO. When the head was off were there o-rings to contend with (intake) or 16-V no rings?
                  Hi dave.
                  A mate of mine done the overhaul for me[he,s te head mechanic at a local harley dealer],so i don't know about any o-rings. HELP.......Will it being to hot damage me engine.

Cheers Billygs.

Comment

Originally posted by billygs View Post
                    Hi dave.
                    A mate of mine done the overhaul for me[he,s te head mechanic at a local harley dealer],so i don't know about any o-rings. HELP.......Will it being to hot damage me engine.

Cheers Billygs.
                    8v = Round Cam Ends
                    16v = Rectangular

And yes, too hot is just that...too hot.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                      8v = Round Cam Ends
                      16v = Rectangular

Are the o-rigs you mean on the carb intakes.

Cheers Billygs.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
                        8v = Round Cam Ends
                        16v = Rectangular

Hey mike...long time, no tech! :-D BillyGS, Take a look at the plugs as was mentioned and they'll tell you if things are too lean. Compare the one from #1 (should look light brown in color) to the other three. If #2-4 are white or near white, things are too lean. Yes... if it is too lean and run hot for to long, several things can go south, pistons, rings, valves, just to name a few.

Comment

Cheers Billygs.
                          If you have an 8v engine, they would be between the head and the carb boots.

Thanks Dave. Haven't been around the site much lately. It's been a busy spring/summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                            Hey mike...long time, no tech! :-D BillyGS, Take a look at the plugs as was mentioned and they'll tell you if things are too lean. Compare the one from #1 (should look light brown in color) to the other three. If #2-4 are white or near white, things are too lean. Yes... if it is too lean and run hot for to long, several things can go south, pistons, rings, valves, just to name a few.

Cheers Billygs.
                            Yes.. o-rings on the connection from the intake tubes to the cylinder head. (If you have the 8-valve engine "round cam caps/ covers").

Comment

Hi t3rmin.

I have a motad 4 into 1 exhaust, if my carbs are running lean on 2,3, and 4 is it awkward to set the mixture screw correct i.e to match cylinder 1.

Cheers Billygs.
                              Well I think you can expect that exhaust to discolor somewhat. (From what I understand stock exhaust is multi-layered and/or thicker and shouldn't blue/gold under normal operating parameters.) But definitive blueing is a Bad Thing (tm).

If the plugs verify lean on 2-4, replace all four intake boots/o-rings and make darn sure there are NO leaks in airbox, petcock vacuum, etc. If you're still lean and jets/needles are the same in all the carbs, raise the fuel level (lower the floats) on 2-4 and/or twiddle with the mixture screws.

Comment

Working...
                              X