Oil Filter Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Filter Question

Hey everyone, I'm a new member with a new (well actually its old) 1982 GS1100E. I have been riding it around for a while getting the hang of it and I just realized that I really don't know how old the oil in it is. So I decided I want to change it. I've read the topic regarding what type of oil I should use but I was wondering what kind of oil filter should I buy. Does it even matter? I just don't want to go down the the store and look stupid when they ask me what I want. Thanks for your help!!

By the way I live in the hot Texas heat if that matters. Thanks again!!

I live in a hot area and run Castrol 20-50. Change the filter also. Go to a bike shop or a Suzuki dealer for that. Make sure to get the filter cover o-ring. The cover is on the front of the engine below the headers. Be gentle with those acorn nuts. (bolts) You don't want to strip the studs. If you have an aftermarket exhaust and headers you might have to drop the headers. I do.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by michael816 View Post
      Hey everyone, I'm a new member with a new (well actually its old) 1982 GS1100E. I have been riding it around for a while getting the hang of it and I just realized that I really don't know how old the oil in it is. So I decided I want to change it. I've read the topic regarding what type of oil I should use but I was wondering what kind of oil filter should I buy. Does it even matter? I just don't want to go down the the store and look stupid when they ask me what I want. Thanks for your help!!

By the way I live in the hot Texas heat if that matters. Thanks again!!
      Get 'em from your local discount auto parts chain.

Fram CH 6000 for shaft drive 8 valve engines, CH6001 for chain drive 16 valve motors.

Thanks Nick!
      Last edited by Guest; 07-10-2007, 07:45 PM. Reason: ah, I read the Fram ap chart without my reading glasses.

Comment

Jim, you got that backwards. The shaft-driven, 8-valve engine takes the 6000, while the chain-driven, 16-valver takes the 6001.

They're actually the same exact filter, the only difference being the gasket. Right now, as I write this, my 1100GK has a 6001 filter that I got for $1 at a liquidation sale. I used the gasket off a 6000 filter.

About filters in general: There are some on this forum who will suggest (urge, actually) to get expensive filters for your bike. Nonsense. Just replace the filter every 2,000 miles or so and the brand will make no difference. Save your money, get a Fram filter, and enjoy the ride. My GK has 118,000 miles, most of them with Fram filters changed regularly.

I use 5W-40 Shell Rotella synthetic, available at Walmart. Works great year round. The mid-Atlantic States get hot too!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
          Jim, you got that backwards. The shaft-driven, 8-valve engine takes the 6000, while the chain-driven, 16-valver takes the 6001.

They're actually the same exact filter, the only difference being the gasket. Right now, as I write this, my 1100GK has a 6001 filter that I got for $1 at a liquidation sale. I used the gasket off a 6000 filter.

About filters in general: There are some on this forum who will suggest (urge, actually) to get expensive filters for your bike. Nonsense. Just replace the filter every 2,000 miles or so and the brand will make no difference. Save your money, get a Fram filter, and enjoy the ride. My GK has 118,000 miles, most of them with Fram filters changed regularly.

I use 5W-40 Shell Rotella synthetic, available at Walmart. Works great year round. The mid-Atlantic States get hot too!
          Thanks for catching that! I hate passing along incorrect info.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I went to the auto parts store and they didn't have it in stock so it will have to wait another day.

By the way, anyone have a working reg/rec they want to sell? Mine isn't putting out enough and I have to charge it every night. Its really annoying push starting it when the battery is dead. Thanks.

Comment

Are you sure it's the R/R? Check out the stator papers
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Check the stator papers as suggested, and if it turns out that your regulator's fried consider doing a Honda regulator conversion. Very simple, drastically improves charging, and there's tons of posts on it if you do a search. If your stator's fried most people suggest the Electrex replacement.

Auto Zone does not carry the Fram CH6001 (or so they told me) but O'Reilly's carries it but they normally have to order it. I'd recommend ordering 3 or 4 just to have them handy. I also run Castrol GTX here in TX, still trying out the 10-40 but may switch to 20-50.

Comment

Working...
                X