breather cover questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

breather cover questions

I finally took mine off which probably wasn't the best idea as it totally ruind the gasket and I don't have another one handy. Oh well. Anyway after I removed the cover I notice 2 phillips screws. What are these and what do they do?

Those are to the top cam chain guide. Clean the rat nest wire doo hickey with carb cleaner. That catches oil in blow by and keeps it out of the air box.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do that. Is the only "rats nest" The 2 on either side of the cover?

Comment

Yes..............
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Just make a new gasket for it!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
            Just make a new gasket for it!!!!
            We used to do this on the farm for our Briggs and Stratton "project" lawnmower engines. Take the cover (or old gasket if it is still in one piece), coat it lightly with oil, and press it down on a piece of brown paper board (we used to use Busch Light boxes...). To help it seal, get some gasket sealant from your local autoparts store, coat both sides lightly, and tadah, you have a new gasket for the price of the gasket sealant (~$5 which will last the rest of your life) and a 12 pack of beer...

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
              Yes..............
              I think on the 8 valve engines there are 4 "rats nests" , one on each side in the cylinder head cover under the gasket, and one on each side of the breather cover above the gasket. Some 16 valve engines parts diagrams only show one rats nest, while others show none.

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider View Post
                I think on the 8 valve engines there are 4 "rats nests" , one on each side in the cylinder head cover under the gasket, and one on each side of the breather cover above the gasket. Some 16 valve engines parts diagrams only show one rats nest, while others show none.
                Thanks that what I was thinking. I have an 8 valve gs1000. The gasket thats installed is bubbled up in the middle and cracked, and I thought I saw another rats nest though the cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by pvtschultz View Post
                  We used to do this on the farm for our Briggs and Stratton "project" lawnmower engines. Take the cover (or old gasket if it is still in one piece), coat it lightly with oil, and press it down on a piece of brown paper board (we used to use Busch Light boxes...). To help it seal, get some gasket sealant from your local autoparts store, coat both sides lightly, and tadah, you have a new gasket for the price of the gasket sealant (~$5 which will last the rest of your life) and a 12 pack of beer...

I've done this as well. The gasket ripped apart , but I think I can use a razor blade and very carefully cut it off I might be able to salvage enough for a stencil

Comment

Working...
                  X