Major Starting issues 81 GS650GLX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Starting issues 81 GS650GLX

Hello GS Pro's. I just bought an 81 GS650GLX that hadn't been started in a little over a year. I did the basic fluid drain/change that would be normal for a neglected bike. I also cleaned up the carbs and replaced the intake pipes (the originals had some leaks) I've been attempting to fire up the engine and have had very little luck. Today I disengaged the throttle cable from the carb and the engine started right up. (short cable, maybe?) however, the engine ran great for about 10-15 seconds, then it started climbing RPM's until I had to kill it. It jumped quick too.

This confuses me as the throttle wasn't even hooked up. Any advice? What should I be looking for?

Thanks. More to come.

Did you put new o-rings behind the new intake boots?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Get the o-rings and also order a new cable.There only about 15 bucks.Make sure your choke is working properly and you have set the idle adjustment when warmed up.

Comment

What they said, and did you completely disassemble the carbs and dip them, or just spray some cleaner into them?

Comment

Got the O-rings

Yep, I definitely put new o-rings behind the intake pipes. The choke cable is busted. I've been pulling the choke by hand. Probably a good place to start. I'll fix that problem and see how it goes, although I don't anticipate the choke will be the problem since I've been engaging it by hand. I didn't dip the carb. I simply fixed the inherent problems, i.e. the intake pipes and the #1 bowl missing a plug bolt. It's air tight now, but I'm thinking the problem has to be in the carb/fuel. The bowls fill up great. I've goosed the cylinders w/some starting fluid to check er out after I checked for compression (no meter, just feeling for pressure) I'll replace the choke though, we'll see how that goes.

I'm hellbent on getting this beast running. Wish me luck.

b

Comment

Originally posted by bhamgs650glx View Post
            Yep, I definitely put new o-rings behind the intake pipes. The choke cable is busted. I've been pulling the choke by hand. Probably a good place to start. I'll fix that problem and see how it goes, although I don't anticipate the choke will be the problem since I've been engaging it by hand. I didn't dip the carb. I simply fixed the inherent problems, i.e. the intake pipes and the #1 bowl missing a plug bolt. It's air tight now, but I'm thinking the problem has to be in the carb/fuel. The bowls fill up great. I've goosed the cylinders w/some starting fluid to check er out after I checked for compression (no meter, just feeling for pressure) I'll replace the choke though, we'll see how that goes.

I'm hellbent on getting this beast running. Wish me luck.

b
            Good luck. Hope we can help you. :-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hello GS Pro's. I just bought an 81 GS650GLX that hadn't been started in a little over a year. I did the basic fluid drain/change that would be normal for a neglected bike. I also cleaned up the carbs and replaced the intake pipes (the originals had some leaks) I've been attempting to fire up the engine and have had very little luck. Today I disengaged the throttle cable from the carb and the engine started right up. (short cable, maybe?) however, the engine ran great for about 10-15 seconds, then it started climbing RPM's until I had to kill it. It jumped quick too.

This confuses me as the throttle wasn't even hooked up. Any advice? What should I be looking for?

Thanks. More to come.
              Get a new choke cable too.Are you sure your letting it warm up first?With my choke half on the bike will stay at about 2000 rpm and then start climbing when it starts to warm up.When it starts to climb try adjusting your idle screw down till you get to 1000 or 1000 rpm's and see if it holds.I think you problem is no choke cable.these bikes are cold blooded and take at least 2 minutes to warm up in the summer.I really depend on my choke.I dont even touch the throttle till it warms up and idles without the choke,(about 2 minutes after starting).

Comment

Clymer repair manual

So yesterday my Clymer repair manual showed up at my door. I unwrapped the packaging, set it next to my bike and attempted to start er' up. Presto, fired right up. Those Clymer manual's are magic.

Actually, I think it may have been the fact that I had charged the battery for a bit, and removed the throttle cable. The bike ran okay for about a minute and then died out. After monkeying with the throttle cable (letting it out as far as possible), I re-attached it and started it again. Started right up. After I let it run for about a minute, I tried to throttle it a bit and it died out and wouldn't start again.

Very small victory's, but I think I'm on my way.

No choke ever used during this process.

Comment

So yesterday my Clymer repair manual showed up at my door. I unwrapped the packaging, set it next to my bike and attempted to start er' up. Presto, fired right up. Those Clymer manual's are magic.

Actually, I think it may have been the fact that I had charged the battery for a bit, and removed the throttle cable. The bike ran okay for about a minute and then died out. After monkeying with the throttle cable (letting it out as far as possible), I re-attached it and started it again. Started right up. After I let it run for about a minute, I tried to throttle it a bit and it died out and wouldn't start again.

Very small victory's, but I think I'm on my way.

No choke ever used during this process.
                  You need the choke and also do you have the air box lid on and filter in? If not, dont expect it to stay running.You have to have the airbox and filter in or it will die as soon as you try to give it gas.Your almost there! at least it starts,that's progress in the right direction!

Comment

Working...
                  X