Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil remains in top of engine around valves

Hello All;

I am checking my valve clearances and waiting on one of those silicone cam cover gaskets to arrive.

The bike has sat for about 3 days now and I've noticed that some oil remains in the top of the engine around *some* of the valves (i.e., some have drained completely and others have a teaspoon or two of oil still there).

Is this a problem?

Is my engine not draining oil back properly?

TIA.

Charles...

Oil up top is a good thing and helps lube the cam while the oil pressure comes up.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Oil up top is a good thing and helps lube the cam while the oil pressure comes up.
      So... do I need to worry about the valves that ARE draining?

Charles...

Comment

Besides the cam chain tunnel you have drain holes in the corners of the head. The rest is there so the cams throw some oil about until the oil is pumped to the top end. You should be cool. Unless the drain ports are clogged.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

This is perfectly normal and what you want
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
            So... do I need to worry about the valves that ARE draining?

Charles...
            By the way if your valves are draining you do have an issue:-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

When rebuilding a GS/GSX motor suzuki recomend that you put oil in all the pockets where the valve's are prior to putting the rocker box on.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                By the way if your valves are draining you do have an issue:-D
                I hate it when someone says "you have an issue" and then drops the conversation without further elaboration.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to correct the valves that ARE draining?

Charles...

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
                  I hate it when someone says "you have an issue" and then drops the conversation without further elaboration.

Any thoughts on what I need to do to correct the valves that ARE draining?

Charles...
                  You would need to replace valve guide seals. You would know by the looks of the plugs if they are oil fouled and if you pulled the exhaust and carbs you should be able to see at least a portion of the valve stems.

It is normal for pools of oil to remain in the recesses of the head, especially the exhaust side.

Comment

Charles,
                    I did not elaborate because I was joking. If your valve stem oil seals were draining oil into your combustion chamber you would smoke the neighborhood out at startup. As stated, oil in your head is a good thing. :-D

Comment

That was a good question! I noticed the same thing and was wondering...

Now I know.

Comment

Oil on top is fine, but it makes checking the valve clearances on the 8 valvers kind of messy. Trying to grab the shims out of the lifter buried in oil is not so fun. Also, I've gotten a faceful of oil when I remove the valve depressing tool and the lifter snaps back into place.

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider View Post
                          Oil on top is fine, but it makes checking the valve clearances on the 8 valvers kind of messy. Trying to grab the shims out of the lifter buried in oil is not so fun. Also, I've gotten a faceful of oil when I remove the valve depressing tool and the lifter snaps back into place.

There is that... I had the same problems.:?

Comment

Working...
                          X