Good info from Focus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good info from Focus

A couple of weeks ago, Focus Frenzy posted a wiring diagram to power the fuse block off a relay instead of the ignition switch.
    Anyone else who has been thinking about this mod should do it. Saturday I rewired my bike to his specs. I got the relay with connector for free from a friend who owns an auto repair shop. (It was a take-off from something and came with plenty of wire already crimped on.) The whole process took 45 minutes including soldering and shrink wrap and a new 12 ga. ground wire.
    I tested my voltage at the input and outputs to the fuse block. With the original wiring and 12v at the battery I measured 11.2v at the input and 11.1v at the outputs. The ignition circuit was lower than the others at 10.4v. With the new wiring I have 11.9v at the input with 11.8v at the headlight and signals, and 11.2 at the ignition!
    I love my extra volt!

Thanks Focus,

Steve

You are welcome! I am glad you got it wired up and cookin good now.
    you may want to coat the underside of the relay with silicon, some relays are not sealed and water can get in them and corrod the contacts,espesialy if the relay is mounted terminals up, mine is not sealed but it is mounted down this is some thing I forgot to mention.
    I have had the relay in use for a year now and it is still working perfectly!

Comment

Could you post a link to this topic please! Thanks

Comment

Strange minds think alike I did the relay modification to my bike today also WHAT a difference Much brighter lights, and they don't dim when the brake lights are on. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner. When the post got recycled it started me thinking and I remembered that I had a cool 8) relay that I could use. Water proof Vibration resistant relay with a wiring harness already made, that I had purchased from PainlessWiring for my car and never used.

Comment

Working...
        X