starter button - 81 GS 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starter button - 81 GS 1000

I've got an 81 GS 1000L (I will post a photo later) and the starter button on my bike self destructed. The little copper plate behind it hit the ground and was never to be seen again. I can use a key and stick it into the hole left by the button and as long as I contact the spring it will fire up for me. It's obviously not the way I want to start it and was wondering how universal the starter button and assembly is across these bikes? I found one on EBAY from a 78 GS 1000 but the control does not look quite like mine. Would I be better off ordering from a dealer?

Let me know what you do cause mine took a poop last week. I actually swapped the horn button for the starter button and it works AOK but in doing so I screwed up the left side switch. The lt/rt/hi/low/horn/auto cancel switch has 5 springs, a little ball and some other moving parts that all go flying the second you open that housing. Bikebandit didnt have the start button even tho they processed my order. I recieved the little contactor but the button and spring were discontinued. ?? Im stopping by the Suzi store tonight and Ill tell you what they say....
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Starter issue

The dealer I called here in RI was not of much help, but did offer the me right side assembly for $90 new. I don't have a manual yet but will see if I can pull a diagram from somewhere to see how it all goes together so I do not cause more problems than what I have.

Comment

Would this work?

You could maybe dissamble and get your part. Cheap alternative.

Comment

button

Certianly looks better than the one I found from the 78. I think I will throw a bid on it and see what happens before I end up shellin gout $90. Appreciate the link!

Comment

The 78 and 81 handle bar switches will be different. The starter button insides may not be!

Suzuki mad.

Comment

You should be able to use any button and swithc combonation as long as they fit on the handle bars. Keep in mind that all these connection go through a relay so there isn't high current. with minimal work you can make anything work

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                Im stopping by the Suzi store tonight and Ill tell you what they say....
                Yep, just like I thought - buy the whole switch & housing - $101
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
                X