CV carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV carbs?

What is the difference in the constant velocity carbs versus the ones used on previous models? I am not understanding this. I have a 80 GS 850G, and it is supposed to have constant velosity carbs. Does this affect the way the carbs are adjusted, does it affect the way the bike responds to pod filters?
    I have had non-cv minikis on other bikes and they were easy, I am scared of what people have tolsd me about the cv carbs, should i look for a set of older ones?

Thanks,
    Russell

You won't be able to fit the stock earlier model VM carbs on the 80 bike with CV carbs. The major difference between the two carbs is on the VM carbs the needle jet is raised out of the main manually and the CV carbs jet needle is raised with air flow. The VM carbs can have a stumble with a quick wot but has better throttle response than the CV carbs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

A non-CV carb connects the throttle cable directly to the air valve/needle valve slider. My Benelli used Dell'Orto carbs like this.

A CV carb controls the air valve/needle valve slider indirectly, via the vacuum from behind the directly controlled throttle plate. AFIK, all Suzi's use them.
      Mark Fisher
      sigpic
      ..............................27 years

Comment

Originally posted by mf70 View Post
        AFIK, all Suzi's use them.
        Only the ones from 1980 and up. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
        X