Help removing rear axel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help removing rear axel!

The rear caliper mount that goes around the rear axel and the spacer on the outer side of it are FROZEN to the axel. I have been spraying it with Free all and PB blaster and pushing pulling hitting and I still cant get it to break free. Anyone have any suggestions???

Have you got the axle out from the rear wheel?

Best bet would be to either let it have a long soak in parafin, old oil or deisel to allow lubrication to get in.

If not put some heat from a paint stripper, hair dryer or if you have one a torch (hopefully the right word this time) as aluminium and steel will expand and contract at different rates.

Worse case is getting somebody with a hydralic press push the bolt out from the space and rear brake bracket.

suzuki mad.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM. Reason: spull chequer not wroking....

Comment

Think a hair dryer will produce enough heat?

Comment

It may also be the bearing support in the hub that is sticking to the axle. Put the nut back on backwards and give it a good hard whack.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
          It may also be the bearing support in the hub that is sticking to the axle. Put the nut back on backwards and give it a good hard whack.
          Na. It slides freely back and forth a little bit except where the spacer and bracket prevent it from sliding any more in either dirrection. Those things are definately the culprit. I am running to the HW store and grabbing a cheap ass little torch.

Comment

A little cheap ass won't hurt anyone!:-D
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Get a ball ping hammer and a punch...
              1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Hair dryer heat!

Originally posted by mortation View Post
                Think a hair dryer will produce enough heat?

Have you tried one? Didn't have any sort of flamed heat in the garage so used a hair dryer to warm up the rotor/crankshaft to get at a starter clutch. I was supprised after 5 minutes just how hot the rotor had got!

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                  If not put some heat from a paint stripper, hair dryer or if you have one a torch (hopefully the right word this time) as aluminium and steel will expand and contract at different rates.
                  Very good, there, SM. \\/ Unless your "flashlight" is really bright, :shock: it won't be hot enough to use as a torch. 8-[

Mortation,
                  My only suggestion would be to make sure that you have released ALL the bolts that clamp the axle into place. Evidently this is on your 850? That means it is a shaftie, and I can just go out to the garage and sneak a peek. There is a bolt at the end of the right side of the swingarm that locks the axle into place. Have you loosened that?

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Mr. mortation,

There is a little circular ring on the right swing arm and a corresponding one on the right side of the frame. After you've loosened/removed your shocks (you at least have to disconnect one end of your shocks), lift the wheel and stick a phillips head screw driver through both of these circles to hold the wheel up. When I removed my wheel, I had to then use a lift (a hydraulic jack) to lift the wheel/tire slightly to take the pressure off the axle so that it would slide out. If you don't have a jack you may have to get creative with wood blocks and some kind of fulcrum. I still had to take a hammer and a piece of wood (like a small length of broom handle) to gently "persuade" the axle to come out. Make sure the wheel is straight and not binding the axle making it hard to slide out.

Have you taken out the bolt that holds the rear brake line? The spacers and rear caliper assembly won't come out until the axle is out of the way. Forgive me if I state the obvious.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
                    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Seems like you could take a socket extender and hammer away on the end of the axle without damaging the threads or the axle. Probably some rusted crud building up a little ridge on the axle.
                      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Working...
                      X