Loose Clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loose Clutch

Just got done troubleshooting an electrical short. That required removing the gas tank and digging around a little. I finally found it and put everything back together, but I'm noticing that when I step on the shift pedal, either up or down, it seems almost too smooth, like I can shift without squeezing the clutch.

I think I've done something related to the tension ont he clutch cable but I'm not sure how to fix it. Any thoughts?

clutch cable goes into the trans right under the carbs, any chance your loosened it up by accident?

Comment

Absolutely...how do I tighten it back? Is there an adjusment somewhere?

Comment

Mr. devildogGS850,

If the engine is off, and all the gears are lined up, you can shift without the clutch. Even when you're riding you can shift without the clutch. It's called "speed shifting" but there are other terms for it. I don't do it often with my GS, but I used to do it all the time on my RD.

Most days my bike shifts very smoothly. Other days it gets kind of "clunky". I think it may have to do with how long it's been since my last oil change.

There is a proper routing path for your clutch cable. Did it get moved? Does you bike run and shift normally when you're riding?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by devildogGS850 View Post
          Absolutely...how do I tighten it back? Is there an adjusment somewhere?
          At the handle:

And at the actuator lever on the crankcase, right in front of your oil fill plug, behind cylinder #4:

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I just went outside and with the engine off, it was very easy for me to move the shift pedal up and down without the clutch. It rides normally, but whereas before I would have to hold the clutch to downshift, now I can just tap my foot on the shift pedal.

I'm sure I didn't put the clutch cable back exactly where it was. I'm just wondering if this is a safety issue or can I leave it alone.

Comment

Hi,

Is the clutch slipping at all? It's possible that, if the cable is not routed properly, the cable could bind (not allowing the clutch to fully engage/disengage) or touch the cylinder head and get damaged from heat. I'll try to post a picture of the proper route after I get home tonight, unless you have a manual already. It is possible to shift without the clutch but if it's too easy then there may be something out of adjustment.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X