turn signal speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn signal speed

hey guys, i have an '81 gs750 and its just about street legal. i took off a bunch of stuff, and then put it all back on, to paint parts, etc. long story short, my turn signals stay on when i put them on. before, if the key was turned in the "on" position (without the motor running) and i hit the switch, that blinker would turn on, but stay on (no blinking). if the bike was running, they would work fine, just really slow. now, even when the motor is running, they just stay yellow, not flashing. do i have to replace the turn signal relay or is there some other explanation? im hoping i dont have to, but if thats what it takes. thanks guys

Check your battery voltage. Low voltage will cause the symptoms you are experiencing.

If your voltage is low, even with the engine running, you will need to find out why.
    There is good help to be found in The Stator Papers in the Garage section of the home page.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dielectric grease all the grounds associated with the turn signals. Especially the washer style grounds on the signal posts themselves.
      This is also a sign of a bad battery.
      Don't be afraid to wrestle the rat nest in the headlight bucket and the wiring under the airbox that leads to the rear fender-blinkers. The bullet connections can get old and loose after many years. I semi crush the female ends to create a tighter fit along with dielectric grease.

Is the auto-off turn signal box still connected? This can also be an issue along with the relay.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

are all of the gs's equiped with the auto-off feature? even before i was having this problem they never turned off automatically. where is the box located?

ill check the voltage when i get a chance. thanks guys

Comment

The auto-cancel signals were introduced to different models at different times. Not sure if your '81 750 would have them or not. If you do have them the control box is about 1 x 2 x 2.25 inches, mine has a 6-pin plug and a ground wire coming out of it. It is most likely mounted to or near the battery box.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
          X