Front brake pad spring - 80 GS1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake pad spring - 80 GS1100

NOTE: I can't change the title of this thread, but it's not the brake pad spring I'm having the issue with...

I had a new tire put on my front rim, and after reassembing and getting ready to put the brakes back on, a small piece fell out of the left brake caliper and I can't seem to figure out where it goes!

Any thoughts? See image below (same part, 2 different angles). It's not on the diagram in my manual.

Thanks,
    Graeme
    Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2007, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Well I figured out where this goes...and also found out that my left brake only has one of these pieces. Not even sure what its real purpose is besides acting as a small spacer. It's thinner than a dime.

Should I worry about there only being one of these on this brake? The brakes have been flawless for the 2000 miles or so that I've put on it this year.

Comment

Mine are so brittle and old I don't think they do much of anything anymore. No issues with the brakes.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

From my take on it, that piece serves as a slide for the pads to slide on...If you didn't have two before I doubt not having both will affect the brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
            From my take on it, that piece serves as a slide for the pads to slide on...
            That's kind of what I figured also. Provides a harder, smoother surface for the pads to move on.

I rode for a while with one of a pair missing. I put the one that was left on the caliper surface that the pad is pushed towards by the wheel rotation when the brake is applied.

Comment

Working...
            X