Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My First Long Trip...I've got a couple questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Long Trip...I've got a couple questions.

Last weekend I finally took my '83 GS650G on a 4 hour trip down to Springfield. Everything went pretty smoothly, but I do have a few questions.

This first thing I noticed when I got on the freeway is that my speedometer would bounce a bit. It was fine up until about 55mph. Past 55mph it would jump back and forth between 55mph and 65mph. It seemed to level off when I would hit 70mph. I checked all of the cable connections and everything is tight. It didn't do this all the time, sometimes it would just start at random. Is this a normal occurence?

Second questions is about gas mileage. My GS has pod filters and a 4 into 1 exhaust, with the carbs jetted appropriately. I was averaging about 130 miles per tank. This seems a little low to me? I know the gas tanks on these bikes are a little smaller than average. Does this seem normal to anybody else or does it seem low to you too?

I thought I had a few other questions, but I can't remember then right now. If I think of them, I'll ask at a later time.

Peace.

Get some chain wax and greaser the cable. That will stop the bouncing speedo. While your at it lube all your cables. Figure out you mile per gallon. Set the speedo trip to 000 after filling your tank. On your next fill up divide the amount of fuel you put into the tank into the amount of miles you traveled.
    With pods and a 4-1 pipe you will get lower gas milege.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Your mileage seems about right, good maybe considering the freeway speed.
      Your speedo shouldn't bounce as others have advised.....cable binding.

Just for comparison, running 50 - 65 mph on average trips, I'll get 200km (120 miles) maximum (I start to look for a fill after 150km or 90 miles) on a tankful - 79 GS1000......seems to be about 10 litres average or about 45.4 mpg (US)

Comment

SPARKSS,

Not trying to hijack darkbane's thread and agree about the cable lube. Just a quick question. I was wondering how many liters or gallons you put in at 120 miles? I'm putting in around 4 gallons US at 130 on my 81 GS1000.

Comment

Working...
        X