Engine Protectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Protectors

I have beed checking out as many photos of the 1980 / 81 GS1100E bike as I can find. I noticed that none of the bikes in the photos have a engine protector. I am not sure if that is the proper name but it is the frame that covers the engine incase you lay it down. My bike had a set on it when I bought it. The ones I have had some damage on them so I guess they served there purpose. My question is are they standard equipment and everyone just removes them or did some one put them on as a aftermarket item. If it is a standard items then why dose everyone remove them?

Greg

The case guards are aftermarket. I think the reason most people don't use them is that the bikes look better without them, and the price for replacing the set of case guards, can't buy just one side, is as expensive as replacing the ignition or dyno cover.

Comment

Thanks for the infomation. I was going to leave them off when I put the bike back together. I agree that it will look better with out them and thats just one more item I do not have to polish.

Greg

Comment

I agree, I bought mine for the looks! If you drop or slide a bike, they will protect the case but what about the rest of your bike?
        GY

Comment

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove them without having the engine fall out? My bike, 81 gs550L, has them and they are very unattractive looking to my eye. Any advice?

Thanks

Comment

My 80 GS1100E had case guards on it when I bought it. While re-torquing the bolts I noticed that the guards were cracked at the bolt holes. I took them off and found that almost all of the holes were cracked and two of them were completely broken.

I looked up the manufacturer of the bars and found that they weren't made for the 1100E, and I most likely had a 1000G set that was force-fitted by bending the bars.

As far as the engine falling out, that wasn't a problem with the 1100E. There were three attachment points on each guard. Two were short bolts and one was the longer one that goes through the frame and engine case. I didn't have any problems getting them off.

Comment

I've got them on my 78 GS1000. I think they look good and my hiway pegs are bolted to them. I love my hiway pegs.

Comment

Working...
              X