Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS850GZ Valve Timing

Hello All;

I just checked/adjusted my valves and checked the valve timing per the Haynes manual I have.

The Haynes manual say:
    crankshaft must be rotated until the 1.4 cylinder 'T' mark on the ignition rotor...
    Well... my 82 doesn't have the marks as per the manual. There is an F, a horizontal line, and the letter T.

When I line the "horizontal line" up with the "metal pole" the "1" mark on the exhaust camshaft is pointing down a little bit (towards the head instead of being exactly horizontal). Is this OK?

I also counted the number of cam chains pins between the #2 mark on the exhaust cam and the #3 mark in the intake cam -- looks like 20 (but I didn't remove the cover which obscures a few of the links).

TIA.

Charles...

I don't concern myself with the timing marks and prefer to focus on the cam lobe position.

#1E pointing forward and parallel to the gasket surface (check 1E, 2E)
    #4E pointing forward ... (check 3E, 4E)

#1I at 90 degrees to gasket surface (check 1I, 2I)
    #4I at 90 degrees...(check 3I, 4I)

I don't have an 850 so I don't have any infor regarding how many cam links.

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

This should help -- you likely have the fixed rotor with electronic advance found on the later models:

Why are you checking the timing?
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        This should help -- you likely have the fixed rotor with electronic advance found on the later models:

http://bwringer.com/gs/tdc.html
        Yes -- I have the "later" electronic ignition shown in the first picture. When I align the TDC mark with the 1-4 pickup, I believe that my camshafts marks are not in the correct position and I need to make sure.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Why are you checking the timing?
        Because I want to ensure it is correct (I bought the bike used and don't know if it's correct). I put a new 4-1 exhaust and have rejetted the carbs, and figured it would be prudent to ensure the timing is correct before trying to adjust and synch the carbs (I'm only getting 20-30 MPG and was thinking the timing might be off).

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
          I'm only getting 20-30 MPG and was thinking the timing might be off.
          SOMETHING is definitely off.

I rode my wife's '82 850L 193 miles today to visit GS1000dude and averaged 45.6 mpg. The trip there was 47.9, but coming home was into a rather stiff breeze, and only got 43.4.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by ccs View Post
            When I line the "horizontal line" up with the "metal pole" the "1" mark on the exhaust camshaft is pointing down a little bit (towards the head instead of being exactly horizontal). Is this OK?
            I'm going from memory here (wasting time at work), but I believe there's a "1" and an arrow, correct?

With the engine at TDC, the arrow should be in line with the cylinder head surface.

In other words, "horizontal" means in relation to the cylinder head suface, not horizontal in relation to the ground.

IIRC, the Clymer manual has a much better diagram of this. I can scan and post it late tonight if things still seem unclear.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
            X