GS700 confusing intermittent idle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700 confusing intermittent idle problems

Hi guys, I've got a kinda confusing thing going on here. I've been fixing/modding all the little issues with my gs, and I've run into an intermittent issue. First, I have new intake o-rings, boots are in good shape, cause I thought that that might be the issue. The bike was idling rough. and wouldn't hold steady idle. After I replaced the O-rings, the idle was excellent. For about a week. Oh the happy week! I though I had the problem fixed. Well, I went out for a ride the other day, and the idle problem is back. It's either A. if the idle adjust is cranked high enough for the bike to stay running at a stop, the idle will race at the next stop, and then slowly fall or B. if the idle adjustment is set low anough for the throttle to act like it should, the bike will stumble and stall at a stop. Unless its the occasional stop where the idle magically returns to normal, in which case it will idle just fine.

Now I noticed what might be a clue. When the bike is idling all crappy, there's a bit of tapping coming from the top end. It comes and goes, and when it goes, the idle returns to normal. The bike is still pulling strong up through the rest of the rev range. When the bike was idling ok, as I recall the tapping was gone, and obviously the engine sounded way smoother. Any ideas? This one has me stumped. I have no idea what sort of problem would come and go like this. Thank in advance for all of your help!

You are losing a cylinder once and a while. I'd check the spark plug caps and the wires for arching.
    When it's idling crappy spray water on the headers and see which pipe is cold.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Synch the carbs!

Comment

Yup. Start her up at night and I'm willing to bet you're gonna see some blue sparks off those wires or caps.

Comment

Update:

I'm a dunderhead. Chef, you're totally right about losing a cylinder. We checked it out today, and no. 4 wasn't doing its job. Spark was good and blue though, so probably a fuel issue. Took it back to a buddy's house who was on the way home, same thing, fine for a while, then all crappy again. Luckily I had a hunch and picked up an inline filter on the way there. The carbs HAD been thoroughly cleaned...twice...but apparently the gastank is harboring invisible gunk gremlins. I installed the filter, pulled the pods and gave the carbs the gumout treatment, a few healthy puffs of smoke and minor explosions later and the bike is running like a champ now. Took it out for about 90 minutes with plenty of lights, and not so much as a stumble. Yay for happy endings! Sometimes ya get lucky and it is the simple stuff

Comment

Working...
          X