Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS1100g revived! ...til it died again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS1100g revived! ...til it died again.

Last night I got my '82 GS1100g started and running for the first time since I picked it up this spring. The bike had last been plated in '03, so it had been sitting for a while. Anyway, long story short, changed all the fluids and did some general cleanup, threw a good battery in there, I had the carbs rebuilt and swapped the gas tank off my GS650 on there. It looked super funny with the smaller tank, but this was just to run the bike to see if it was worth saving or parting it out on eBay.

So, I it started up great, idles like a dream and ran fine for the first few trips up and down the highway -- actually, its like a Cadillac compared to my GS650 daily beater, totally smooth, tons of power, just great and hopefully will be its replacement someday. I was making another short trip down the highway when it seemed like something killed the ignition or coils. It wasn't like running out of gas, but the motor spun down very quickly, barely responded to more throttling and died as it coasted to a stop. There is still power to everything, as when I turn the key on I get the oil light on and the side stand light. I hit the starter button and there is nothing, not even a click to the starter, but I know the battery is good.

So, is there some sort of safety switch that is working with the solenoid that possibly could have gone bad killing power to the ignition or something?

Try cleaning the kill switch.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Didn't think of that, but could be it for sure. On my 650 if the kill switch is in the off position the lights and everything will come on, but the solenoid won't activate. Good idea.

Comment

Found the Culprit...

This morning I spent a few hours with a volt meter tracing everything and checking switches. Turns out a burned up ground wire from the back side of the solenoid up to the negative terminal on the battery was the fault. I wouldn't have even found it until I saw part of the harness melted. With a temporary ground wire rerun everything behaves nicely now. Now I'm off to the shop to solder up a good ground wire for it so this doesn't happen again.

Comment

Glad to hear that you found the culprit! Hearing that you got the old bike running gives me motivation, for today is the first day that I've started working on my 1983 GS1100G that I just picked up. Any tips or advice for a fellow gs1100g revival hopeful?

Comment

Just don't be scared! ha ha. I'd start by changing the oil, fuel, clean filters, plugs, battery and give it a whirl.

Comment

Working...
            X