Painting The Frame Cheap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting The Frame Cheap

I am in the final days of finishing my 1980 1100E and am going to have the tank and side covers painted by a shop. I was going to have them paint my frame put my cash flow is getting a little short. Can anyone give me a decent idea and type of paint to use in order to touch up my frame. I realize that it wont last for ever but I have but so much time and effort polishing and swapping parts that I would hate to put them on a my scrached up frame.

Greg

I used Hammerite in a spray can. It's a glossy paint, that doesn't need a primer coating. The manufacturer claims that it stops rust.

I used it on several frames; it's great stuff, costs just a little more than conventional paint.

I'm not sure if it's available in the US though.

Check this website:

Comment

Thanks jojo. I sent a message to the company to see if they do infact supply or ship to the US.

Greg

Comment

You might try Rust-Oleum. They also claim to stop rust. Don't know about it's longevity, they generally advertise toward lawn furniture and whatnot so they must think it'll last.
        Personally I'm a big fan of Krylon but thats more because it's almost run proof and I HOPE it lasts. I used it quite a bit of it on my 1100.

Comment

I may be wrong, but I think PJ-1 used to have a paint for frames. I know they had a paint for engine cases.

Comment

Greg - Hammerite should be available in your local Home Depot and probably Lowes and True Value as well. For that matter Walmart & Kmart should have it too. I know I have seen it at Home Depot because there is a particular shade of light blue metallic they make it in that I like. Once I figure out something to paint with it, I'll buy a can. ;-) Hammerite is a textured finish and looks like hammer burnished metal only in various colors. They now have a smooth variety as well but it's harder to find. Hammerite is a tough finish to remove so make sure you like the way it looks before you coat your frame with it. Another option you might consider is using Black Baron Hobby Poxy (or something similar). This is an epoxy based paint used on flying model airplanes. It's also pretty tough and is fuel and solvent proof. It usually runs about $8 a can at the local hobby shop and is available in a decent color variety. Make sure you get your frame prepped well and get any of the residual grease and gunk off the frame before you start painting.

Comment

i went to the dollar store for gloss black paint, it looks pretty good too!

Comment

Have used Hammerite before on my 4x4 and it is bulletproof. Learned about it at work where we paint the equipment with it. Be warned that the fumes are quite strong.

Comment

I've used Rustoleum on several rebuilds, both dirt and streetbikes. Very tough finish with a high gloss. But be prepared for a long drying period, i.e. 24+ hrs after sprayed. Slow drying allows alot of time to flow, hence the high gloss, but bugs love it. Keep it clean while it dries and you won't be disappointed. Have fun.

Comment

I wanted to thank everone for the good information. I think that this is the best site on the internet.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                    X