My little oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My little oil leak

Hey guys, I just got done replacing the seals on my bike from the base gasket up and have everything torqued down. This is my first time for doing any engine larger than a push mower so I may have missed something, but I took my time and tried to do a good job :?

Anyhow, got it all together and started it the other day only to find I still had a small oil leak and could not tell where it was coming from. So today I took some flour out and had fun throwing it onto the engine lol. Started the bike and after about 5 minutes started to see oil leaking. I took picts although I was in a hurry and they are not the greatest maybe someone can give me clues as to what I need to do from here. It seems to be leaking from the air channels in the cylinder block below exhaust ports 3 and 4.

Well, there's nothing in that spot that can leak oil so I'm guessing the oil
    is pooling there from a leak in a different location. Check the valve cover, especially under the front bolt holes and the half-moons. The head gasket area may leak, especially around the oil channels (where the o-ring washers fit around the corner studs). Also check the tach sender.

I would check for leaks by first washing it down with some water and Simple Green. After its dried out (not run yet, just let it air dry) apply your powder and then run it.

Comment

My moneys on from the cam chain tensioner. Drops down from the tensioner then runs forward between the cylinders.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
        Well, there's nothing in that spot that can leak oil so I'm guessing the oil
        is pooling there from a leak in a different location. Check the valve cover, especially under the front bolt holes and the half-moons. The head gasket area may leak, especially around the oil channels (where the o-ring washers fit around the corner studs). Also check the tach sender.

I would check for leaks by first washing it down with some water and Simple Green. After its dried out (not run yet, just let it air dry) apply your powder and then run it.
        I powdered the front of the engine since I thought that was where my leak was, but it seems to be coming from the channel there ( I think the channel goes through towards the sparkplug to provide cooling). I didn't put any powder around the spark plug areas knowing how much fun it would be to clean it out of there lol. The half moons are dry and the front of the valve cover appears to be dry, I'll take a closer look at where the sparkplugs are.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
          My moneys on from the cam chain tensioner. Drops down from the tensioner then runs forward between the cylinders.

Suzuki mad
          Do you mean they run forward from the cam tensioner to the front of the engine? Hmmm... I will definitely check that (I don't remember torquing those to tell the truth).

Comment

Working...
          X