Oil Seals won't seat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Seals won't seat

I have an '82 550M, and I am in the process of replacing the oil seals. I have two problems.

#1--Which way is up? One side is completely flush, the other has a ridge slightly higher all the way around.

#2--I can't get the seal to seat inside the outer tube all the way. It won't go down far enough to get the washer and the snap ring in the slot. I've tried it both ways (whichever is right-side-up).

I've replaced the upper bushing/slider ring, the spacer, and the seal with new OEM parts, so they should be OK. I just can't get the new one down in all the way.

Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

The side of the seal where you can see the little spring running the circumference of the seal should be facing up (the flush side facing down).

You made need a little pressure to get the seal to set properly. I always found that a piece on PVC pipe that is big enough to fit around the fork tube but with an outside diameter small enough to press on the seal and not bind on the fork slider to be an ideal seal driver. The pipe will have to be longer than your fork tubes, but just a few extra inches is long enough.
    Just install all the pieces as they should be, then place the pipe down over the seal and tap evenly with a hammer until everthing is in it's proper place.

Comment

Perfect, thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark whiz View Post
        The side of the seal where you can see the little spring running the circumference of the seal should be facing up (the flush side facing down).

You made need a little pressure to get the seal to set properly. I always found that a piece on PVC pipe that is big enough to fit around the fork tube but with an outside diameter small enough to press on the seal and not bind on the fork slider to be an ideal seal driver. The pipe will have to be longer than your fork tubes, but just a few extra inches is long enough.
        Just install all the pieces as they should be, then place the pipe down over the seal and tap evenly with a hammer until everthing is in it's proper place.
        According to your description I installed my seals wrong. I have to flush side up on my GS750E, that's the way they were originally installed and they don't leak so I assume they are right.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          According to your description I installed my seals wrong. I have to flush side up on my GS750E, that's the way they were originally installed and they don't leak so I assume they are right.
          You DID install them correctly. If you can see the spring they are installed incorrectly. The installation instructions are good, but the flush side faces out.

Comment

I use the old seal (perfect size) and a screwdriver/hammer to press the new one in.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
              You DID install them correctly. If you can see the spring they are installed incorrectly. The installation instructions are good, but the flush side faces out.
              I know I did, just pointing out mark's inaccuracy \\/

Comment

Working...
              X