Accel Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accel Coils

I'm looking to pick up a set of Accel SuperCoils for my 83 GS750ES, but I have a dilemma.

The service manual for my bike says the coils should have a resistance of ~3 ohms across the primary coil. Accel sells two kits:

140403 SuperCoil kt for 4cyl point ignition (non CDI) 3 ohm
    140404 SuperCoil kt for 4cyl CDI ignition 0.7 ohm

I assume I need the 3 ohm coils, but I thought my bike has a CDI ignition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry.. didn't mean to post this here.. i'll move it to Technical Info

Ill guess that as long as the primary is 3 ohms there will be an impedence match. I have dynas in my bike. I THINK THE ACCELS ARE A BETTER FIT THOUGH-- FROM WHAT THE GANG SAYS.

Comment

Re: Accel Coils

Well, thats easy enough. The bike does not have a CDI ignition, it has an electronic ignition. Hence, use the 3 ohm coils.

Earl

Originally posted by BillBBB
      I'm looking to pick up a set of Accel SuperCoils for my 83 GS750ES, but I have a dilemma.

The service manual for my bike says the coils should have a resistance of ~3 ohms across the primary coil. Accel sells two kits:

140403 SuperCoil kt for 4cyl point ignition (non CDI) 3 ohm
      140404 SuperCoil kt for 4cyl CDI ignition 0.7 ohm

I assume I need the 3 ohm coils, but I thought my bike has a CDI ignition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry.. didn't mean to post this here.. i'll move it to Technical Info
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

What you need is Dyna coils. The green ones. Part # DC1-1 dual output.

There is a set on ebay right now!

8) Andre 8)

Comment

Didn't realize this had been posted in the GD section and that Earl had already addressed the CDI misconception. I answered that in the Technical section.

Comment

Anybody here have a heck of a time getting your Dyna coils to fit within the area of the frame where the old coils went? My coils had to be mounted with the plug wires coming out of the top and so close to the frame that I had to jury rig some isolation to prevent the charge from grounding out though the new coil wire to the frame backbone. You'd think the bunch that designed these things would have come up with a better shape or something.

Comment

accel coils were hard to fit on my 78, i had to tie the ends of the mounting brakets to the frame with wire

Comment

I had a tough time making room for mine. I had to grind off the raised portion of the plastic on the sides of the coils and bend the frame tabs up a little to mount them.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Falke
                  Anybody here have a heck of a time getting your Dyna coils to fit within the area of the frame where the old coils went? My coils had to be mounted with the plug wires coming out of the top and so close to the frame that I had to jury rig some isolation to prevent the charge from grounding out though the new coil wire to the frame backbone. You'd think the bunch that designed these things would have come up with a better shape or something.
                  dynas were a lousy fit on my 1100ed.

Comment

Thank you I thought it was just ME

Comment

Thank you I thought it was just ME
                      if one of the bolts vibrates loose, all you have to do is spit and it shorts to the frame. I had to go a bit overboard with preventing this shorting when wet . It still needs more attention

Comment

Yes, I had to make a bracket to make room for them. Now it's a lot easier to remove them, just one bolt each.

Comment

I wonder just which bikes that Dyna makes exact fits for 8O >?????

Comment

Originally posted by slopoke
                            I wonder just which bikes that Dyna makes exact fits for 8O >?????
                            GOOD QUESTION!!!

Comment

Im not crazy about the fit of my dyna coils but i do like the performance. In 16 yeats I did have one go bad but thats not too bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X