No announcement yet.

Oil leak yuck!!! What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The gearbox is lubed by the motor oil. It's a simple fix. Just pry out the old seal and install the new one. Somewhere Scotty has a post on it. Maybe in the Tips and Tricks section. I forgot you have shaft drive, but the transmission is still lubed by the crankcase oil. You shouldn't have to drain anything and oil loss will be very minimal when you pull the seal.

Comment

hope this ok to post this here.

But I, just tonight after two gloroious years of maintence free riding found a leak tonight. I think its coming from the gear shifter indicator like this thread suggested.

but if I take this off will all the oil drain out this fitting? I have a cylmer manual for the bike its a gs 1100 1984 shaftie. shes emaculate in her condition and very clean. only one owner before I got her. But I do know that oil will flow all over the place while riding. I belive this is my problem, but would like to know where this seal can be purchased or modified? is this easy to find? I am going to clean her up tomorrow and start her up. To see if she will leak agian. Most of the oil is on the kick stand and the bottom part of the cover that shows the gears positions, any help will be greatly appricated. I hope this is the problem. also too I did notice the phillip heads the hold in the sensor were a little loose so i tightened them, and there is this one number 12 mm bolt up underneath the houseing of the gear shifter, that seems to be loose as well. but I dont want to strip her out.

Thanks in advance. Bill

Comment

Working...
      X