push starter button, nothing happens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

push starter button, nothing happens

82 gs850, I can short the solenoid and starter turns but nothing on starter button. clutch switch wired together, is it the solenoid or the starter button?? also no voltage on the small yellow wire from the solenoid when button is pushed. any help at all please

Originally posted by sterlingmarlin30 View Post
    82 gs850, I can short the solenoid and starter turns but nothing on starter button. clutch switch wired together, is it the solenoid or the starter button?? also no voltage on the small yellow wire from the solenoid when button is pushed. any help at all please
    You've found most of your problem already.........the no voltage appearing between the yellow wire and ground when the button is pushed. Check that your kill switch is in the run position. Confirm the solenoid switch works normally by jumpering the solenoid "battery" connected terminal to that yellow wire. This will probably crank the engine.....it's then to dig into your wiring diagram and see where the break in the push-button cranking circuit is!

Comment

What he said!!!!

Comment

I had to replace my starter button as well and just about any switch with the right functions for you handle bars can be wired up

Comment

re start button

ok, cleaned all wire connections, nothing, cleaned starter button, kill switch button, nothing, jumpered the battery wire on the solenoid to the yellow wire on the solenoid,fire flies and the wire heats up quickly, key on or off, doesn't matter. however now it starts when I touch the button, I don't know why but I'm happy, thanks guys, you never let me down yet.

Comment

ha very weird how that works? problems magically fixed

Comment

Hopefully it will not come back and haunt you!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlingmarlin30 View Post
                ok, cleaned all wire connections, nothing, cleaned starter button, kill switch button, nothing, jumpered the battery wire on the solenoid to the yellow wire on the solenoid,fire flies and the wire heats up quickly, key on or off, doesn't matter. however now it starts when I touch the button, I don't know why but I'm happy, thanks guys, you never let me down yet.
                Does your starter relay (solenoid) have just wired connections, 2 heavy and 1 small (the yellow)? Typically, your starter pushbutton (cranking) circuit should have supplied +12 to that yellow wire, engaging the relay which makes a connection across the 2 heavy terminals....starter turns etc.

Jumpering the battery + to that yellow wire should have done the same thing.
                Was the bike in gear by chance when you tried that? I'd suggest getting or making a test light and confirming this action, now that the circuit seems to be working. There shouldn't have been any undue heavy current heating up any wires during this exercise (was it your jumper that heated maybe?).

Comment

Working...
                X