~50 V AC from all 3 stator wires...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

~50 V AC from all 3 stator wires...

My bike never charged that well, but I have finally come around to testing things to find precisely why.

Max charging voltage seems to be about 12.5 at the battery when revved.

I took apart the three stator connections (one appeared to be a little melted or corroded) and got about 40-50 V on each.

I know this is below what it should be, but my question is-

Can I expect better than 12.5 volts coming out of the R/R?

Is there an equation to determine AC input to DC output?

Thanks,
    Chris

82 850G

Originally posted by Philly_Chris View Post
    My bike never charged that well, but I have finally come around to testing things to find precisely why.

Max charging voltage seems to be about 12.5 at the battery when revved.

I took apart the three stator connections (one appeared to be a little melted or corroded) and got about 40-50 V on each.

I know this is below what it should be, but my question is-

Can I expect better than 12.5 volts coming out of the R/R?

Is there an equation to determine AC input to DC output?

Thanks,
    Chris

82 850G
    Hi Chris. Was your 40-50v AC measured between each of the 3 pairs of stator wires? (this is line-line voltage). With the stator disconnected and engine running, did you check for any AC voltage between each stator wire and chassis (should be none.) The first measurement above would yield more than adequate charging voltage........if the second situation exists then your stator has a short to core and, depending on where the short is may result in very marginal or not sufficient charging voltage (which translates to charging current with a good battery).

Comment

Yes, those values are between 2 wires (w/g +y, w/b+y, w/g+w/b) with the engine running. Hard to find 5K exactly with no tach or timing light, but I held it steady at a few different levels and goosed it one or twice and never got above 50 V.

Are you saying that those levels of output ought to charge my battery in at least the 13V range?

If that's the case I'll get in there and clean all the connections and grounds nicely. I didn't want to tear into it if the stator is the problem.

Comment

IMHO

I would be checking all the connections to the r/r. I would suspect your stator tested sound.

The charging you are experiencing with the battery is consistent with a break in voltage in one of the wires entering the r/r from your stator.

Comment

Originally posted by Philly_Chris View Post
          Yes, those values are between 2 wires (w/g +y, w/b+y, w/g+w/b) with the engine running. Hard to find 5K exactly with no tach or timing light, but I held it steady at a few different levels and goosed it one or twice and never got above 50 V.

Are you saying that those levels of output ought to charge my battery in at least the 13V range?

If that's the case I'll get in there and clean all the connections and grounds nicely. I didn't want to tear into it if the stator is the problem.
          Chris, do your troubleshooting in a logical order.......Yes your voltage levels (and especially the consistency) are a good sign.......Did you check for voltage between each wire and chassis as I asked? (stator connections disconnected still - engine running). If no voltage is present here, then you need to test your rectifier bridge and regulator......(yours may be a combined unit......with my GS1000 they're seperate)

Comment

Working...
          X