Electronic Tach Calibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Tach Calibration?

Is there a way to test the tach or calibrate it of a 1983 GS750ES? things looked ok until two weeks ago when I opened it up to repair the broken tabs inside. Now it works but seems to be running hotter then before & not as smooth.

Thanks.

bump[-o<

Comment

It seeems to be a common issue with the electronic tachs for these bikes, if you find a fix or if someone else has some good ideas, I am all ears too. My tach hangs at around 5000 then will eventually jump up to 7500 and then keep up. I truely don't trust it for anything over 5500, I go by ear.

Comment

Bump. I've got this going on, too. Tach is sloppy down low (have to tap it with my finger to get it to drop to idle speeds) and unreliable past 8k or so. Seems like something in there might just be sticky so I'm going to open it up and spray some lube... Any better ideas?

Comment

Nevermind I found some info in the archives about replacing capacitors and such. Although I think lube would help since tapping on the gauge has an effect.

Comment

I hate to say this, but replacing the Igniter Box on the ignition pretty much fixed my tach issues, which had been real bad for several years. It worked fine when cold, but as the bike and/or ambient temperatures rose, the tach got real squirrelly at 4K rpm. The same lead that runs from the Ignitor to one of the coils, has a tap that runs to the tach and provides it with the signal to run off of. My bike had practically quit running earlier this year and needed the Ignitor to get her going again, and low & behold the Tach came around.

It's still a bit "sticky" on the needle action, but it is much improved.

Comment

I'll have to throw a timing light on it and see if I can see it missing. Crude test but should give me an idea.

Comment

Working...
              X