Fork air pressure gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork air pressure gauge

Can anyone out there tell me where to get an air pressure gauge to measure the pressure in the forks. I know a regular tire pressure gauge won't work.
    Thanks ahead of time.
    filerj

Why won't a regular tire pressure guage work?
    Can't get it onto the schrader valve?
    Or yours doesn't start off at 1 psi?

the local auto parts store probably has one to fit and in your pressure range.

By the way, I run 0 psi and 20 weight oil for a smooth ride.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Gauge

KGB, thanks for the reply, mine doesn't go down to 1 psi, plus I thought regular tire pressure gauges let air escape where the ones that originally came with the bikes didn't. I'll check the auto parts store for a lower pressure gauge and next time I change fork oil I'll try the heavier weight oil and see how it goes.
      filerj:-D

Comment

Mr. filerj,

The last time I was in my local motorcycle shop I picked up a "low pressure" air gauge. It looks just like your regular tire pressure gauge, it just goes from 1psi up to 35psi or so in 1psi increments. I air up my forks to 15psi when I want to do some "serious" riding. I check it every couple weeks. One of these days I'll just put in some Progressive springs. I was also told that you could preload the stock springs by sticking in a few inches of PVC pipe and some washers. I haven't researched that option much, it seems too "Mickey Mouse".

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM.

Comment

If you took a good look at the original OEM spacers, it's really not that Mickey Mouse. I've had quite a few friends do that on different bikes and none of them broke or had any issues.

Comment

Dennis Kirk sells a variaty in the price range of $20 - $ 50. You can order online or from their metric bike catalog.

Ed Z.

Comment

I use one from AutoZone that lets you bleed the pressure off. Hit each fork with one or two pumps from the bicycle tire pump and then use the gauge to bleed off pressure until it comes down to what I want. Never check them, just do it like that and I also have the pressure I want.

Thanks,

Comment

I made this. It helps to have an extra set of hands to work the air pump, but basically you pump it up a little higher than what you want in the forks then bleed it down with the ball valve.

Comment

I got a Victor Mini Tire Gage at the local parts store. The small kit includes a valve stem repair kit too. www.victorproducts.net for your nearest dealer.

Measures in both psi 0 up to 60 and kPa up to 400.

Is very small and close to the factory issued one that would have been in your tool kit.

The max converted psi for my forks is 14.3 psi. I run 10-12psi normally.

Even with this little short shaft one you have to be "fast" to remove it to avoid letting 5psi out each time. Takes a little practice to get both forks the same psi without building a gizmo - which I haven't yet - as it holds pressure for months.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM.

Comment

I used a 'Trek' mountain bike suspension gauge last time I ran air in the forks (none now)...I think they are designed with a bleed valve so you end up with the actual pressure...IIRC it needed some fiddling with adapters to get it to work with the Suzuki valve.

Tony.
                    '82 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                    X