Bike Reving High and throttle cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Reving High and throttle cable

So I just bought a 95' GS 500E. I took it out today and i couldnt get it to Rev over 5000 in gear. .... this meant for very slow acceleration. So i decided it just pin it and finally it broke the 5000 mark and took off like a wild fire. When i came to my next stop the bike was idling at 4000 and i couldnt get it to come down, engine braking became nonexistant. Anyone know why it did this .... i played with the idle screw to bring it down and now its at about 2000. But i also believe there is something wrong with the throttle becuz when i turn right it REVS up but i cant see the end of the throttle to decided whats wrong .... it anyone has any comments .... greatly appreciated !

Trace the throttle cable and make sure it is unfettered. There should be just a mil of play in it as well before it picks up on the carbs.

Something else may be going on though, if your throttle cable was binding turning the idle screw would not bring the rpm's down.

Why couldn't you get the bike to rev over 5k? Did the throttle stick or did the bike not go over 5 at full throttle?

Sounds to me like you've got a carb inspection opportunity.

Comment

I know im confused, the throttle wasnt stuck .... i had it full out ... and had to hold it there till the bike reved @5000 for about 10 seconds then kind of chugged over. Then after it did it only went to reving really high. Now im only left with the throttle cable movement with the steering ... I cant see the throttle cable past a certian point, how easy is it to take the tank off ?

Comment

Let me try this a different way: (yes or no answers)

1) Will the bike rev past 5000RPM's under load?
        2) Do you have any control over the throttle?
        3) When you say you only have cable movement with the steering, does that mean that the bike surges when you turn the bars and if so, which way?
        4) Is this the first time that you've ridden the bike?

Comment

1.Yes it Can now rev higher than 5000rmp with load
          2.Yes i have control over the throttle
          3.when i say cable movement.... i mean as i steer right the throttle opens up and revs the bike to about 6000rpm .... ive tried moving the back to better positions but its hard because i cannot see
          4. Ive had the bike for 2 weeks .... serveral little rides ... but the throttle was never an issue before

Comment

Tanks are easy to pull, I'd start there and check the cable routing as you move the bars through there range, you should be able see the cable pull and where from as you turn to the right. It may be misaligned, routed wrong, or the wrong cable all together. Loosen it at the bars and give yourself as much slack as possible, then adjust it back to a point that it isn't binding and you still have full throttle range. If this is not possible, I'd be suspect of routing or the wrong cable all together.

Comment

Working...
            X