Fork Air Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fork Air Valves

How do I remove the air valve thing at the top of the forks? I need to remove them in order to replace my springs with progressive ones. I can push them down but cant see anything inside the tube which may be holding them in..... would appreciate any help.

What kind of bike?

Comment

Oops. Sorry. Its a 82 GS650GT shaft drive model.

Comment

I'm not very familiar with the model but if it's like others, there is a circlip located inside the upper fork tube. Best done with two people. One compresses the top cap down into the leg while the other uses a pick to remove the circlip.

Comment

Ok, can I use a small screwdriver and I assume prise up this clip? (which incidentally I cannot see even when pushing down on the cap!)

Comment

Originally posted by garyh View Post
            Ok, can I use a small screwdriver and I assume prise up this clip? (which incidentally I cannot see even when pushing down on the cap!)
            That or a small dental tool pick or scribe.

Comment

Checking out the parts diagram I don't see a circlip for the airvalve. My 82 850 is similar. Using a socket, you remove the cap (part # 32), then just remove the valve (part # 30). Re-installing the valve is not as easy since you have to press down and turn the cap against the force of the spring.

The picture came from Alpha-Sports:

Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

Comment

Working...
              X