Front Brake squeal fix??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake squeal fix??

1978 GS1000C with single front caliper. New parts unlimited pads. Squeals like a banshee when stopping, embarasing!! Has anybody tried any of the anti-squeal stuff on the back of the pads, and did it work? Don't know if the originals did this since I did not ride with them because they were soaked in fork oil.
    Thanks

I believe you probably have the one of the same calipers as is fitted to the '79GS 850. Your caliper has round pads, right?

If this is what you have, the anti-squeal stuff on the back of the pads will NOT get the job done.

The idea here is to lubricate the parts that rub on each other with a grease that going to stay put. High frequency rubbing is what causes the squeal.

You must grease the edges of both pads with non-melting disc brake grease as well as the back of the pad that lies against the piston. Last week I did the job on my '79 850 using Sta-Lube/CRC
    Synthetic Brake Caliper grease (it will not run!) and solved the problem. This was my procedure:

Take the stationary pad out first, then pull out the moving pad. It will come right out. Do not use the brake lever to push the pad out and do not disturb the position of the piston.

Put some grease on the end of a Q-tip and apply a thin coat to the caliper area that surrounds the edge of the pads when they are installed. Then, apply a thin coat to the edge of the metal plate that forms the base of each pad. Put a little grease on the back of the stationary pad where it will bottom out against the caliper (right where the wear marks on the pad are) and put grease on the back of the moving pad. Then, apply a light coating to the piston where it will ride against the back of the moving pad.

Now put the moving pad back in place in the caliper carefully, being careful not to get any grease on the pad surface. Tap it in with the end of a screwdriver--the grease will hold it in there. Then install the stationary pad.

Inspect! If you see any grease on any pad surface get it off with brake cleaner and a clean Q-tip. If you see any excess grease at the edge of the pads where they sit in the caliper, get it off by running a clean Q-tip around the edge of the pad.

Hope this helps.

Tomcat

Comment

Tomcat I have some of that at home that I used on the sliders. I'll do this tonight when I get home. I know exactly what you are refering to and I do have round pads. This is certainly a high frequency rub.
      Thanks, and thanks from all the people within earshod of me on the front brakes!

Comment

The pads will also squeal if they're glazed. I hit the rotors with a light abrasive pad on a drill, 90 degrees from the direction of rotation, and it stopped the insane squealing immediately. (the type of pad used to clean gasket surfaces)

The bike also has much better braking!:-D

Comment

as mentioned in the clymer manual's "performance" section
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

The high temp synthetic caliper grease worked great!! It didn't take much.
            Brakes are completely silent now.
            Thanks guys!!

Comment

Working...
            X