Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil cooler

Hi all,

I was just curious if anyone has put an oil cooler on an 81 gs 850 g. If so, where can I get one? Could one for a car work?

Thanks,
    Scott

I think there are a few of the larger shafties (1000G, 1100G) running around with oil coolers, but the general consensus is that the 850G simply doesn't need one.

No one sells complete kits any more, but they can be cobbled together. It's important to remember that the roller bearing engines use very low oil pressure, so you'll never move all that much oil through the restrictions in an oil cooler.

Any modern oil in the recommended grades has far more heat tolerance than the oils available in the early '80s. Change it every 2,000 miles as called for in the manual and forget about it. A cooler just creates several more potential leaks, IMHO.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have one of these things hooked up... there don't seem to be any leaks or problems with it, should I bother taking it off?

Comment

I've owned four successive GS850's, from 1986 thru 1999, at which time I got my GS1100GK. No oil coolers on any of them, and never had any engine problems. My GK has 119,000 miles now, running without an oil cooler.

bwringer is correct, in my opinion. Just fill it with good oil and change it every 2,000 miles or so, along with the filter. The 850 will run and run, so enjoy it, and don't worry -- be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Brown View Post
          I have one of these things hooked up... there don't seem to be any leaks or problems with it, should I bother taking it off?
          Heck, no. If you have no problems with it and your bike runs well, don't mess with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
            I've owned four successive GS850's, from 1986 thru 1999, at which time I got my GS1100GK. No oil coolers on any of them, and never had any engine problems. My GK has 119,000 miles now, running without an oil cooler.

bwringer is correct, in my opinion. Just fill it with good oil and change it every 2,000 miles or so, along with the filter. The 850 will run and run, so enjoy it, and don't worry -- be happy.
            I agree. I was running 10.5-1 CR in 30-40 deg C last summer without an oil cooler and no problems. I do try to avoid stop/ go traffic though, and turn it off for long delays. No problems on restarts though.
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

The heat affects me more than it affects my GK. Stop-and-go traffic at any temp higher than 85 is detrimental to my comfort and peace of mind, and I'll avoid it if I can.

The last thing I worry about, when I'm riding in the heat (and one has to do that once in a while, however reluctantly), is whether my GK will make it.

Ride to work day tomorrow. 94 degrees predicted. I think I'll take the Jetta tomorrow...

Comment

'83 GS1100E WITHOUT Oil Cooler: +270F Oil Temp
                '83 GS1100E WITH Oil Cooler: ~210F Oil Temp

These are my findings in my recent re-install of an '84 GS1150 oil cooler.

~Adam

Comment

Bloody hot here in Louisiana, I have an oil cooler on my GS1000G.

Comment

Working...
                  X