GS 850 '82 kickstart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 850 '82 kickstart

Has anyone converted one to kickstart. I think it'd be sweet. Lose a little weight too\\/

The '82 has a very different shape to the clutch cover than the earlier models, so you couldn't just transplant the kick start bits from a '79 model. It should be possible to convert an '80-81 engine to kick starting with parts from a '79 model, but I haven't tried it.

Of course, anything is possible with a fully equipped machine shop, a degree in mechanical engineering, and an unlimited budget.

By all accounts, it's a pretty pitiful kick starter anyway. And the lever and all the associated gears, pawls, shafts, and springs weigh enough that you wouldn't save a whole lot of weight.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I agree with bwringer on everything he said.

You want an 850 with a kickstart? Then get a 1979 model. Otherwise, just ride your '82 850 and be happy.

No, I don't think it would be sweet at all. I used to have a 79 GS850, had it for two riding seasons. Kickstarting it was a pain. It's so much easier to push a little button on the right handlebar. :-D

Comment

Now you've done it. Grandpa's gonna kick yer butt! ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
          Now you've done it. Grandpa's gonna kick yer butt! ;-)
          You're right, t3rmin! :-D

Comment

thanks a lot guys, I didn't know all that!

Comment

I've got a 79 model with the kick start and it's not very functional unless the bikes already warmed up. It's a cool feature to have but I've only used it three times since owning the bike. Good luck if you want to try converting it.

Comment

The kick starter is mostly ornamental on the '79 model, really. The lever is very short, and it doesn't spin the engine very far.

I had a kickstart-only GS400 years ago, and it had a longer lever that actually spun the engine enough to do some good.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                X