speedometer Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speedometer Q

i was wondering if there was a way to hook a speedometer up to anything else besides the front wheel on my 1994 gs500e . like the back wheel or the engine somewhere .

thanks for any help

flaltinecustoms@hotmail.com
    joel

some folks have used electronic units that were made for bicycles. Could you tell me why you want to do the modification please.

Comment

If you peel out a lot when you take off, the odometer, if hooked to the back wheel, will show more mileage than one hooked to the front wheel. But if you slide the rear wheel to stop, I guess it would equal back out.

Comment

speedometer Q

yes i sure could . i have taken a gs500e and cut the front off of it . i am mounting it to a home built frame using s-10 front suspension . the problem that i am having is the speedomter is in the tranny of the s-10 and the front wheel of the gs500e . basiclly i am building a threewheeled gs500e two passenger street leagal toy .

flatlinecustoms@hotmail.com

joel

Comment

can anyone help me with the speedometer.

joel

Comment

I am clueless on this one! the front end is going to have the 2 wheels and the rear is a bike (like the Corbin car?)

Comment

yeah and there is no way that i can think of doing it .

joel

Comment

And some people thought I was pegging the Insane-o-Meter with my chopper!
                I was looking at the speedo drive gear and the rear axel assembly and I don't see how to get those two together. Maybe a motocross or pedal bike speedo would be the way to go.

Steve

Comment

I would go with the bicycle speedo on the back tire. You only need a speedo to pass your safety check. Depending on the size of tires allowed on the speedo you may be able to fit it to a very small wheel (ie the front drive sprocket) but it would be tough to stick on without some drilling and epoxy. I have seen magnets epoxied to crank shafts so I know it is possible. Calibrating the device would be trial and error with a GPS.

Steve

Comment

its not the first time i have been called insane . lol . another question to put that bicycle speedo on it i would have to make sure that the smallest diameter of a bike tire would match the drive sproket if i wanted it hidden? or i could just through it on the rear wheel . and do you guys think that would pass the safty check with that little speedo ?

thanks for all your help

joel

Comment

Yes, I was talking about hiding it under the sprocket cover. If you check out aerostich I think they have a bike speedo for sale. Otherwise search the web here. I know somebody posted a popular bike speedo for motorcycles.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X