Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I add more oil to crackcase for a cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I add more oil to crackcase for a cooler?

Hi! My '80 1000g lives!! I bought this 2 summers ago as a package deal, this bike and a Honda Rebel for 1000 bucks. Long story short, sold the Rebel the spring of 2006 for 1300 bucks.... Paid for this thing to get resurected. I started in earnest the past couple of week. Many things wrong with it. Bike was not running or capable of it when I bought it. Air box was off, battery and connections around were monkied with, ect... Anyway, I went thru the wireharness, soldering all connection points. Fuse box was melted. The one I got off of ebay was not much better. Bought a different fuse box from Advance Auto and wired it up. Cleaned all grounds, connected up, slid in a nice new AGM sealed battery and fired it up. Started first try!!!! Thing has sat for 4 years, at least. Anyway, here is where my question is, I intentionally put a little extra oil in it while it was just sitting in my shed. I didn't drain this out. When I first started it, no smoke. After a few minutes, smoke... Then I saw oil coming out from the air box! Dawned on me that the oil level was too high. Drained oil and put in fresh. It has an oil cooler on it, shold I add extra to make up for that?

Whew, long winded, aye! I'm just a little giddy for getting it going today... Just hope that I didn't hurt anything with the extra oil for that short time.

Here are some pics.

Rick

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Use the sight glass and adjust accordingly IMHO.

Comment

What i did was fill my cooler with oil and see how much it takes.. Then whenever you change your oil, add that much more...
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

Thanks. The way the PO has it hosed up, that in itself probably adds 1/2 qt.! Out of curiosity, how much does your cooler hold?

I'll have to play with it.

Rick

Comment

I run like 3/4 quart more...

One thing you can do is fill the crankcase with oil, take the hose off the oil return line, where it attaches back to the motor, and then crank the bike over with the spark plug leads removed.. When the oil starts pouring out, then top the bike back off and connect all the lines.
          1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

That makes sense. My question is, the oil cooler is mounted high. When the engine is off, oil in the cooler/lines drain to the crankcase. Is 3/4 of a quart or whatever I come up with too much extra in the case on start-up? Stupid question?

Appreciate your time.

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X