PLEASE tell WTB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLEASE tell WTB?

The top barrel broke off of my clutch cable, while I have a new one, I really want to buy some cable fittings to throw in the tool kit so I won't get stranded again. I am looking for the ones that you put the cable through and then secure it with a screw from the bottom. The bike shops around here look at me like I am from Mars when I ask them for fittings, even when i show them a picture.

Originally posted by Clone View Post
    The top barrel broke off of my clutch cable, while I have a new one, I really want to buy some cable fittings to throw in the tool kit so I won't get stranded again. I am looking for the ones that you put the cable through and then secure it with a screw from the bottom. The bike shops around here look at me like I am from Mars when I ask them for fittings, even when i show them a picture.
    You go to the lawn and garden tractor supply places and get a couple 3 or 4. But you will probably have to drill out the barrel to fit your cables in it. Bike shops don't seem to carry these anymore.

A good samaritan gave me one at Deal's Gap (I still have it) that saved a week long vacation for me.

Comment

In most auto parts stores, there's a section of goodies in red packages from the "HELP!" brand.

Stare at these until you find the one with the assortment of cable fittings. Your chances are probably a bit better at an Advance or Pep Boys than Autozone.

As Jim noted, you might want to match these up beforehand and you might need to drill one out to fit your clutch cable.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

You might check the JC Whitney motorcycle catalogue

Comment

What is this thing we are talking about? I don't want to break it if I don't know what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dardoonk View Post
            What is this thing we are talking about? I don't want to break it if I don't know what it is.
            Your cables will have a barrel shaped end that the control grips to pull the cable. Sometimes the solder connection will pull loose and allow the cable to pull out. Other times, and more likely, the cable will corrode just before this barrel and snap. The thing Clone is looking to buy is the barrel, but instead of solder a screw jams the cable in place. Commonly used on lawnmower, and lawn and garden tractors. Their cables are thinner than a GS clutch cable so they must be drilled out to work.

Back in the day bike shops sold these for emergency back up parts. Darn useful if you're on the road, snap a cable at the barrel, and your bike is 30 years old. Or it's Sunday and the shops are closed.

You might have to shave the plastic covering and cut the metal casing to expose more cable, then re route your cable from behind the tank to in front of it. You'll need a good pair of pliers and a very sharp pair of wire cutters and a small file to cut the metal casing, which you have unwound. 3 armed riders seem to be able to handle this task in relatively short time. Takes two armed riders a little longer. Try to grab an assitant, lend him/her your gloves. The file will also come in handy trimming the cable.

Then you'll want to put the new barrel in the control and using a good winding or two of electrical or duct tape seal it in the control in case the screw comes loose, the cable pulls out, and the barrel falls out the bottom and leaves you stranded again.
            Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2007, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I have repaired the old cable with one of the solder-on barrels, as a back up. There is enough play in the cable that if only the barrel breaks off, you can repair it. I will have to check out a few more places, jcwhitney here i come

Comment

Working...
              X